Author Topic: Help with creating a new file or project ( template doesnt show up )  (Read 19885 times)

Offline natescham

• Single posting newcomer
Hello,
I used to be an experienced Code Blocks user, but I've been out of the C programming game fo a while and I'm just getting back into it and reinstalled code blocks and mingw, plu si got all the microsoft compilers and all that. My issue is NOT a compiler or linker issue.

My issue is that when i goto File > New > File.. ( or project or any option) no blank .c .cpp or any templates show up.

I have no idea why new projects or templates are showing up.
When I previously used code blocks, I had no problem here and I could always choose a new .c file or whatever I needed.

So does anyone know why no new file templates are showing up? Like I said it is not a compiler problem, I can still make a blank file, change it to .c and compile via the command line with gcc or whatever.

Is there a new wizard or option I must set up to get the .c .h or .cpp file extension or project templates to show up?
I tried reinstalling and all kinds of stuff. Maybe someone else had this problem?
Its under File > New > File.. or Project..          Thanks

Offline natescham

Re: Help with creating a new file or project ( template doesnt show up )
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 10:56:44 pm »
Oh, and I wanted to add, the only type of file that I can create is a new blank file that I must then save as .c if I want to code blocks easily.
I just know before that hen I went to crete a new file.. that I could choose between .c or .cpp but no templates show up anymore at all.

I'm also running Windows 7 - 64 bit if that means anything.

If anyone needs more info just let me know, I really like Code Blocks and I'm stuck using PellesC for now lol,
and Visual Studio 2008 or 2010 is way too much of a hassle just t make simple C programs.

Thanks.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:49:09 am »
Re run the install and enable the contrib-plugins?
You need the scripted wizard plugin.

@dev: can you enabled them by default? we have too many topics with this problem...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline natescham

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 02:59:35 am »
Well thanks for the input. I have tried to re-installa few times but i will try using the scpriting wizard like you said.

it's jsut confusing because before the templates for .c .h and .cpp, etc all showed up automatically, but i'll try it out.

Thanks for the advice, if it doesn;t work, i'll repost a more detailed description of my problem. Thanks a lot.

Offline natescham

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 03:09:28 am »
OMFG, thank you soooo much oBFusCATed.

Even tho it atomatically installs with the defaul tinstall, u need to Enbale it under addons for it to work.

I know the old Code Blocks this was automatically enabled.

But i have it fixed now so thank you so much,

And if any of you great Code Block developers happen to read this, could u set up the latest version of code blocks like the 8.02 or previous version where the zizard automatically set up the projects, .c. .cpp h, etc, files. It makes life a whole lote easier. Plus, i Kno walot of new C and Cpp programming books use Code Blocks as thier free Windows IDE so havig this automatically enabled would be qite benefifical to new programmers.

but thanks again oBFusCATed. I appreciate it.

MWRMWR

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 11:36:20 pm »
Same here - this seems to be an unnecessary surprise.

Became a new user last week and started with my Mac ... but in a hurry and no gcc.
No worries, so run on Mac in Ubuntu VM - very happy, creating projects and build/run.

Tonight tried to get going on W7 ...and fell into the same problem described here.
Did my first install and just ticked a bunch of boxes to add-in "interesting" extensions, add-ins or whatever - and as far as I knew what I was doing or recall it,  I DID NOT DE-SELECT anything and ended up wth the very first thing I wanted to do (create a project) unavailable !

I realise that the folks at Ubuntu probably pre-installed this with the Create new project (templates) option enabled already for me.

So, as with the previous posting - WHY would one ever want to NOT have a default which enables project creation ?
If one really didn't want it (space/complexity overheads maybe ?) then, sooner or later, one would encounter the default enable and turn it off.
In time, maybe I'll figure out the rationale for this since (from the previous postings in this thread) it appears to have been a deliberate implementation change.