Author Topic: Windows gcc linking problem in Code::blocks  (Read 3933 times)

Offline recobb

• Multiple posting newcomer
Windows gcc linking problem in Code::blocks
« on: October 30, 2010, 05:12:28 pm »
I feel like I'm missing something simple here, but I can't figure out what it is.

CB is latest version, just downloaded as the whole package with Mingw32 gcc compiler on Windows XP.  I have a console application with 3 separate .c files.  All 3 files compile successfully, but the linker gives me 'undefined reference to' errors for functions that are defined in a different object file than the one it is being called in.  When I look in the CB Management window, under Symbols, I see the function that the linker cannot find listed as a Global Function, which would presumably mean that it is available to all parts of the program.

If I copy one of the error-producing functions to the .c file that generates the linker error, that particular error goes away.

If I compile from a Windows command line:
gcc file1.c file2.c file3.c -o output.exe
The compiler and linker have no problem producing the .exe

So why, within the CB ide, can't the linker find the references in other objects in the same project?   I used all the default CB settings for a console application.

UPDATE: I turned on compiler logging, and tried each of the compile and link steps that were listed in the log on the Windows command line.  I was surprised to see, for a c program, that mingw32-g++ was invoked for the linking step (instead of mingw32-gcc - in the new project wizard I did specify a C program, not C++).  Be that as it may, even using the g++ version for the linking step the exact same command that failed in the compiler log was successful in the Windows command window.  ???

Thanks!

Richard C.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 05:27:35 pm by recobb »

Offline tanq

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Windows gcc linking problem in Code::blocks
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 03:36:13 pm »
Check executable names in Compiler Settings window. Correct names: c compiler = gcc.exe, c++ compiler = g++.exe, linker for dynamic libs = gcc.exe
I remember that 3-rd parameter is wrong in c::b by default.