Author Topic: Trouble Starting Code Blocks  (Read 8892 times)

Offline ellie84

• Single posting newcomer
Trouble Starting Code Blocks
« on: October 27, 2010, 06:01:59 am »
I can't get code blocks to start. I have a windows Vista operating system and have downloaded it, used the setup wizard and then go to start a new project but keep getting the message:

"This application has failed to start because libmpc-2.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem".

So I reinstalled it but got the same error message.

Please help me :(

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: Trouble Starting Code Blocks
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 06:06:44 am »
used the setup wizard and then go to start a new project but keep getting the message
which project?? you use wizard??
codeblocks version??
compiler full log??
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline ellie84

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 06:13:30 am »
Code Blocks version: 10.05
project: Console application

Installation wizard to install

I dont know what you mean by compiler full log?

Offline ellie84

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 12:02:27 pm »
If you are reading this thread: Sorry to waste your time.

I have installed Borland C++ 5.5. It worked perfectly first time and only took me 5 min to install.  :D

Thank God I don't have to waste any more time on Code Blocks- it sucks!

Online Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 12:24:16 pm »
If you are reading this thread: Sorry to waste your time.

I have installed Borland C++ 5.5. It worked perfectly first time and only took me 5 min to install.  :D

Thank God I don't have to waste any more time on Code Blocks- it sucks!
If your not able to use a simple installer, like thousands of other users,or give any needed informations it can not work.
If you want to stuck to an outdated IDE, with an outdated compiler that is not able to do any cross-platform development you should be lucky with Borland.

Good luck to you on your way, you will need it (as anybody).

Best wishes,

Jens

Offline phyllf

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 11:19:04 pm »
I had such problem with an out-of-the-box installation of MinGW gcc version 4.5.0 and solved it the following way:
1. Download libmpc-0.8.1-1-mingw32-dll-2.tar.lzma from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files_beta/MinGW/mpc/mpc-0.8.1-1/
2. Unpack libmpc-2.dll from the downloaded file (for example with 7-Zip) in the bin sub directory located in the MinGW root directory.

If everyone do his/her job properly such problems will be less likely to occur.

Online Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 11:33:50 pm »
I had such problem with an out-of-the-box installation of MinGW gcc version 4.5.0 and solved it the following way:
1. Download libmpc-0.8.1-1-mingw32-dll-2.tar.lzma from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files_beta/MinGW/mpc/mpc-0.8.1-1/
2. Unpack libmpc-2.dll from the downloaded file (for example with 7-Zip) in the bin sub directory located in the MinGW root directory.

If everyone do his/her job properly such problems will be less likely to occur.
Code::Blocks bundled with MinGW does not use gcc 4.5, but 4.4 and as far as I know it normally works out of the box on Win7.

We get many "bug-reports" of users who mix different MinGW versions on different locations, that might interfer.

The original poster did not tell exactly which version of C::B's installer was used (with or without MinGW) and which version(s) of MinGW are installed and from which sources the version(s) is/are.

Without at least a little willingness of the users, we can not find out, whether the problem is on our side and/or how to fix it.

OpenSource software like C::B (and by the way commercial software also) can only be improved with the help of the users, otherwise errors, that did not occur before (or at least nobody told us about) can not be fixed.

Offline phyllf

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 04:44:01 pm »
The problem in my case is caused by the new official MinGW installer, which is still in alpha version. If there is a download problem during the installation the installer does not notify the user at the end of the installation.

OpenSource software like C::B (and by the way commercial software also) can only be improved with the help of the users, otherwise errors, that did not occur before (or at least nobody told us about) can not be fixed.

Well this issue does not concern directly Code::Blocks, however it is worthwhile to note that the responsible commercial vendors don’t use alpha quality installers for their (final version) software.

The quality of the software depends on the developers who make it and their willingness to listen to their users. The (proper) bug/issue reporting is time and effort consuming activity, which not all users can afford or are motivated to perform.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 04:50:59 pm »
Well this issue does not concern directly Code::Blocks, however it is worthwhile to note that the responsible commercial vendors don’t use alpha quality installers for their (final version) software.

I take it you have never used Norton Anti-virus.
Which commonly needs a special un-installer to remove it.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Online Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 06:18:11 pm »
The problem in my case is caused by the new official MinGW installer, which is still in alpha version. If there is a download problem during the installation the installer does not notify the user at the end of the installation.

The quality of the software depends on the developers who make it and their willingness to listen to their users. The (proper) bug/issue reporting is time and effort consuming activity, which not all users can afford or are motivated to perform.

We do not use the official MinGW installer, neither do we use the official MinGW-build.
C::B is build with and ships with TDM's MinGW build.

So we are the wrong addressee for your issue.
If you use an alpha installer of MinGW, than it's your decision, but please don't blame other products.