Author Topic: A few gripes about the interface  (Read 3196 times)

Offline pubby8

• Single posting newcomer
A few gripes about the interface
« on: October 18, 2010, 09:20:10 pm »
I have been wanting to try Code:Blocks for some time, however a few problems have kept me from using it.

First off, tabs show the full filename instead of the last part. I like to keep my source files in many folders, and it is annoying to se the tabs be named like: "folder/folder/folder/folder/file.cpp" as this takes up space and can be hard to understand.

Second, the "management" folder/tab system has some annoyances.
Is it possible to get rid of the "sources, headers" imaginary folders? I really find these annoying for large projects.
Can I have different icons for cpp and h files? It would be easier to find them this way.
Also, why is there a "workspace" node? I really don't see a point in collapsing it - and it is really bothering me because it and the project node takes up about 64 pixels width of my already small screen - causing me to have a really tiny text editor.

Can the log be auto-collapsing like visual studio's? I don't want it open unless I'm compiling or my mouse clicked it open.

Is it possible to fix these? And by fix, I don't want to have to edit the source and recompile it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:26:22 pm by pubby8 »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: A few gripes about the interface
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 11:10:46 pm »
1. Settings -> Editor -> General -> Editor title is the file's
2. Yes, you can get rid of the "sources, headers" - Project -> Project tree -> Categorize by file type
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline pubby8

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 11:28:13 pm »
Thank you!

Is there anyway to auto-hide the log when not compiling?

Offline Folco

• Regular
    • Folco's blog (68k lover)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:31:12 pm »
F2 key, else look at "Settings -> Environment -> View -> Auto show/hide message pane".
Kernel Extremist - PedroM power ©

Offline pubby8

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 02:28:39 am »
Is there an easier way to create+move files?

If I drag a file from one folder to another, it creates some wierd virtual folder which doesn't really move the file. Is it possible for it to really move the file other than editing the files externally?

Also, to add a file I have to do it externally - is there an easy way to do this? - I can do the file new to create a file, but then it still won't move correctly, and so It's faster just to skip the whole file new thing completely.

This is the biggest slowdown I'm having with code::blocks - I spend more time trying to get files to be moved than actually coding!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:34:20 am by pubby8 »