Author Topic: Some features I hope  (Read 3890 times)

Offline vanxining

• Single posting newcomer
Some features I hope
« on: October 13, 2010, 06:48:04 pm »
1.   A moderner GUI under MSW. C::B’s GUI is out of date: Win95 style toolbar, menu, menu bar… And I think the setting dialogs are really bad designs. This style is rarely seen in today’s applications. Firstly, the navigation bar. With its bitmaps, I must scroll down the window to get to the panel I want. Secondly, the dialog’s default size is too large, about 670px height. So when I run C::B in my netbook(1024*600), wired problems arise(I’m sorry that I can’t describe it accurately).

2.   I really don’t know why the Copy&Paste are categorized into a sub menu.

3.   Refactoring.

4.   A smarter code completion. The Visual Assist X is perfect.

5.   The project management panel should not show the full path of each file. Just the file names are enough. And why can’t I double-click at the title bar to expand the sub entries?(differs from 8.02)

6.   The “Start here” page should be more attractive.

7.   Why the splash window becomes a regular one? (differs from 8.02)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 07:38:15 am by vanxining »

Offline seb_seb0

• Almost regular
Re: Some features I hope
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 09:21:59 pm »
Hello,

I am not a Code::Blocks developper, so my opinion may differ from their policy.
However, I can answer to your points:

1 - if by "more modern", you mean a ribbon such as Word 2007, I have to disagree with you. The menu & toolbars are a compact way to show many options at the same time: everything important is available at a glance. "Modern" GUI tends to be optimized for big screens, and you end up clicking a lot before finding your options
       For the settings dialog, you can remove the bitmaps: menu "Settings" / "Environment Settings". Select the category "view" in the navigation bar. In the group box "Settings icons size", select "no icons, just text"

2 - this is a common complaint. The reason is that the context menu is already pretty big.
       Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V / Ctrl-X work well though

3 - the code-completion is under heavy development. You can test it by downloading a nightly (choose a "Code-Completion branch")

4 - same as point 3 !

5 - I do not have this problem.
       Try the menu "Project"->"Project tree" -> untick "Display folders as on disk"

6 - this is a matter of taste. I like it because it shows a summary of what happened lastly.

7 - this is really not a big deal I believe. You can always disable the splash screen in options (menu "setting" / "environment settings", category "General Settings", option "Show splash screen on start up")

Sebastien

Offline vanxining

• Single posting newcomer
Re: Some features I hope
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 07:50:07 am »
seb_seb0, thanks for your reply!

if by "more modern", you mean a ribbon such as Word 2007, I have to disagree with you.
I don't mean a Ribbon. I just want a Office 2003 style as VS2008/VS2010.

5 - I do not have this problem. Try the menu "Project"->"Project tree" -> untick "Display folders as on disk"
I hope the full path is never shown. That is only the filename - "main.cpp", not the full path "D:\c++\test\main.cpp". I think the prefix is unnecessary.

6 - this is a matter of taste. I like it because it shows a summary of what happened lastly.
I mean the page should not only contains black text on the white backgound.

You can always disable the splash screen in options
A VS2010 style splash window would be better. And in CB 8.02, it's a shaped window with transparence!

Fogive my poor English! :)

Regards,
Ning