Author Topic: Install 32 and 64 bit.  (Read 5732 times)

Offline Newbie0815

• Multiple posting newcomer
Install 32 and 64 bit.
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:28:58 pm »
Sorry if I come up with the same problem again, but I´m going nuts here.

Half a year ago I got my problem solved in this thread:
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,12259.0.html

Now I´m reinstalling my PC and obviously I´m trying to install all the latest versions, but I´m running into big trouble again.

First I was quite happy to find C::B 10.05 in the download section, all in one, simple install, works great.

Now I´m trying to install MinGW-w64, aside of the 32 bit version included in C::B 10.05.
It seemed so easy, download the proper MinGW-w64 archive and adjust the program files in C::B settings, and be done, but I can´t get it to work.
I´ve even tried to (re-)download the old files from that old thread, to (re-)install it as I had it half a year ago, but even that doesn´t work anymore.
By now I´ve downloaded half a dozen versions of MinGW-w64, tried anything I could imagine in compiler settings, I´m completely confused.
Beginning with problems like: the -w64 archives seem not to include a gdb.exe nor a make.exe, so where do I find these?
Up to problems like: uninstall/reinstall of C::B keeps all the (messy) settings I had done before, so how do I get rid of that for a fresh install?

Could anyone help me out?
Beginning with a fresh installed C::B 10.05, including MinGW

What do I download, and what do I have to change in "Global compiler settings" or anywhere else to get MinGW-w64 to work.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Install 32 and 64 bit.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 07:31:25 pm »
DO NOT INSTALL Mingw to X:\Mingw for any value of X!!
Multiple MinGW GCC will NOT work if an MinGW install is in X:\Mingw for any value of X!!

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Newbie0815

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:00:14 pm »
Since I´m using the C::B all in one installer, MinGW is located in
C:\CodeBlocks\MinGW

My idea was to download and extracxt the -w64 in
C:\CodeBlocks\MinGW64
Plus a "Copy of GNU GCC Compiler" with adjusted "Program files" settings.

As far as I remember, that´s what I´ve done half a year ago and it was working fine, based on C::B 8.02 plus a nightly.
But then .... after I´ve reinstalled my PC nothing works anymore, so I must be doing something wrong, or I have forgotten an important setting.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:34:04 pm »
The above directions you used should work; without more info I see no way to help you.
"Nothing works" means nothing to me.

Tim S.
--

Offline Newbie0815

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 08:54:40 pm »
Let me see if I can explain it better.
As I said, I´ve reinstalled my PC, meaning format c:, install Win7 ultimate 64 bit.
Done Windows update, driver installation, everything running smooth.

Then I´ve installed C::B 10.05 including MinGW, left everything on default, only changed installation folder to c:\CodeBlocks, created a test application - build - run - all fine.

Then I´ve downloaded the latest MinGW-w64 from sourceforge, mingw-w64-bin_i686-mingw_20100617.zip.
Created the folder MinGW64, extracted the archive in there, then I went to compiler settings in C::B.
Made a "Copy of GNU GCC Compiler" and set that one to default.
Edited the "Compilers installation directory" and the "toolchain executables".
Created a test application, clicked "Build" and I got errors, by now I don´t even remember all of them anymore, I believe the first one said something like "... uses an invalid compiler [YOUR ANSWER IS ALREADY THERE. SEARCH THE FORUMS!]".
After that I got into a mess, so I guess best is to restart from a fresh installed C::B 10.05 and redo it properly from there.

Offline Newbie0815

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 09:48:31 pm »
Nevermind ..... solved it.
After your hint above, I´ve reinstalled C::B and renamed MinGW to MinGW32 before installing MinGW64.
Not sure why that solved it, maybe I did something else different as well, anyway I got it working.
Thanks.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 04:44:47 am »
Nevermind ..... solved it.
After your hint above, I´ve reinstalled C::B and renamed MinGW to MinGW32 before installing MinGW64.
Not sure why that solved it, maybe I did something else different as well, anyway I got it working.
Thanks.

You likely had MinGW added to the System Path; that might have your symptoms.

Tim S.
--

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 08:58:46 am »
May be the answer is there, see paragraph : "Do not install TDM-GCC to "C:\MinGW"!"

gd_on
Windows 11 64 bits (23H2), svn C::B (last version or almost!), wxWidgets 3.2.4 (tests with 3.3), Msys2 Compilers 13.2.0, 64 bits (seh, posix : gcc, g++ and gfortran in C:\msys64\mingw64) or 32 bits (dwarf2, posix  in C:\msys64\mingw32).