Author Topic: Commands Only target  (Read 4807 times)

Stevo

Commands Only target
« on: November 09, 2005, 11:17:56 am »
Hi,

I have some questions about the "Commands Only" target. (really architecture neutral query, but i am running under linux).

It seems that this target type only executes the commands listed in the pre-build and/or post-build, is that correct, or does it also still try and execute "make"?  I think it is trying to execute "make" and i don't understand why it would with a "Commands Only" target, because "Make" may not be one of the commands i wish to execute.  If i wanted to execute make, surely id just enter Make as one of the commands?

Also,  the debugger front end is inoperable with a "Commands Only" target, again I'm not understanding why? 

Surely just because CodeBlocks didn't build the code doesn't mean it cant be debugged?

It seems like this is what I'm after for my build environment, but it isn't quite there.  Are there architectural reasons for these things, or is it just the way it happens to be at the moment.

With regard to debugging, is it because the "Output filename" and the "Execution working dir" cant be set for a Commands Only Target?

If so, what prevents these values being set? (Other than the dialog)

Id like to use CodeBlocks to develop code for embedded systems, and i dont feel the current paradigm fits for me, but i think "Commands Only" could be made to work, if i could use the debug front end with my embedded GDB, and i could specify the specific commands to execute to make a build happen.

Stevo
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 11:33:38 am by Stevo »

Offline Urxae

• Regular
Re: Commands Only target
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 12:09:17 pm »
Sounds like what you really want to do is invoke a different GCC and GDB than the native ones for your platform. In that case, make a copy of GCC from Settings --> Compiler, change the executable paths and use that copy for your project. Provided its GDB can be run from your computer even if the program being executed is on whatever embedded system you're developing for, I don't see any reason this wouldn't work.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: Commands Only target
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 01:27:39 pm »
or is it just the way it happens to be at the moment.
Spot on.
This plugin is work-in-progress.
Anyway, you will need the under-construction "attach to process" command. Command-only targets are irrelevant for what you want to achieve...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...