Author Topic: The 21 August 2010 build (6508) is out.  (Read 32533 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The 21 August 2010 build (6508) is out.
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:08:43 am »
Get quick announcements through the RSS feed http://www.codeblocks.org/nightly/CodeBlock_RSS.xml

Before you use a nightly make sure you understand how it works.

A link to the unicode windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw28u_gcc_cb_wx2810_gcc441.7z

For those who might need this one (when no MingW installed on your system) : the mingw10m.dll : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/mingwm10_gcc441.7z

The 21 August 2010 build is out.
  - Windows :
   http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20100821_rev6508_win32.7z
  - Linux :
   none

Resolved Fixed:

• applied : Patch to make '--add-brackets / -j' option available in astyle plugin (http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,13054.msg87865.html)
  • pumped TinyXML to 2.6.1 (plus some patches from TinyXML SVN trunk) -> fixes some C++ inconsistencies
  • avoid crash of wxChartCtrl, if style contains USE_GRID and no chart is added (default in wxSmith preview);
    fix wrong casting of style, that can lead to a build error
  • applied patch #3045: Get rid of lexer_nassi.* files
  • applied patch #3041: Adding wxFileName::IsFileWritable for scripting
  • applied patch #3040: Add CurrentSelection to the Macros
  • added TARGET_OUTPUT_FILENAME to macrosmanager (partially applied patch #2937)
  • another fix for the wxPropertyGridManager splitter issue in wxSmith: see svn6405
  • applied patch #2839: Select file from all projects in the workspace
  • applied (modified) patch #2894: Set parent window of cbMessageBox where possible This fixes "message boxes behind main dialogs" under Unix/Linux
  • applied blended colour to loggers to hopefully fix the colour issues with the loggers under Linux with dark themes
  • introduced (and used) some new SDK events: EVT_EDITOR_SWITCHED, EVT_PROJECT_FILE_CHANGED, EVT_CLEAN_PROJECT_STARTED, EVT_CLEAN_WORKSPACE_STARTED
  • make the link to the build log file always use forward slashes
  • added some sanity checks when working with a compiler pointer
  • cbprofiler: auto-select active build target for convenience
  • wizards: use images with transparency (if supported by platform)
  • ToDo plugin: allow CPP style comments
  • ToDo plugin: handle types more correctly
  • ToDo plugin: allow to select allowed types (as a filter)
  • applied (modified) patch #2879: Call SetProject() only after workspace is opened and some updates to this patch
  • debugger (cdb): added support for stepin / stepout

Regressions/Confirmed/Annoying/Common bugs:

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
    • Lives here!
    Re: The 21 August 2010 build (6508) is out.
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 10:09:55 am »
    FYI : later today a special nightly will be released, containing a special build from our debugger branch. This is basically refactoring done on the debugger features of CB, once we gt proper feedback on this one, this will be merged to trunk and will be available in the regular nightly. Stay tuned ;-)

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
    • Lives here!
    « Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 10:22:28 am »
    As usually debian binaries (32- and 64-bit), sources and documentation packages (german and english) can be found in my repository.
    (I uploaded them on friday, so if you have my repo in your apt-sources, you might already use them).

Revision is 6502, because 6503 to 6508 are not committed to trunk, but to debugger- and codecompletion-refactoring branch.

I will possibly put packages of the debugger branch on my repo, but in another section. You will not be able to use both versions side-by-side.
    If I do so, it will most likely not happen before tomorrow (very slow upload due to ISDN at home) and I will post a detailed instruction how to use it.

Offline Loaden

• Lives here!
    « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 10:41:35 am »
    FYI : later today a special nightly will be released, containing a special build from our debugger branch. This is basically refactoring done on the debugger features of CB, once we gt proper feedback on this one, this will be merged to trunk and will be available in the regular nightly. Stay tuned ;-)
    Good job! :)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
    • Lives here!
      • CenizaSOFT
    « Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 03:48:36 pm »

I decided to compile the wxpropgrid_debugger branch (which I guess is the one you are talking about), and the experience with it was not that good. The disassembly window did not work (all I got was ?? and no instructions). The "Debug->Debugging windows" menu does not show the windows that are currently opened while debugging. Add to that that there is a button still missing in the toolbar: step into instruction (stepi). GDB is a really nice debugger, but the front-end in Code::Blocks needs a lot of love.

Feel free to move this post to the thread announcing the release of a nightly for that branch once it is created.

Feedback over :P

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
    • Lives here!
      • Travis build status
    « Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 04:03:04 pm »
    The disassembly window did not work (all I got was ?? and no instructions).
    Works here, can you paste the gdb output from the debugger's debug log?
    The disassembly window works only when you've stopped on a breakpoint.

The "Debug->Debugging windows" menu does not show the windows that are currently opened while debugging.
    Works, too...
    Can you post a screenshot?

Add to that that there is a button still missing in the toolbar: step into instruction (stepi). GDB is a really nice debugger, but the front-end in Code::Blocks needs a lot of love.
    Can you provide an icon, the other part of the job is easy to do? And I'll do it when I've the icon...
    (most of the time I ignore long posts)
    [strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
    • Lives here!
      • CenizaSOFT
    « Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 04:29:17 pm »
    Works here, can you paste the gdb output from the debugger's debug log?
    The disassembly window works only when you've stopped on a breakpoint.

PATH=.;C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin;c:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\MinGW32\bin;C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;c:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\MinGW32\bin;C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\bin
    Command-line: C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin\gdb.exe -nx -fullname  -quiet -args bin/Debug/EventTest.exe
    Working dir : C:\Users\Ceniza\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\EventTest\
    > set prompt >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    (gdb) >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > show version
    GNU gdb 6.8
    Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
    This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
    There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
    and "show warranty" for details.
    This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-mingw32".
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > set confirm off
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > set width 0
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > set height 0
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > set breakpoint pending on
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > set print asm-demangle on
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > set unwindonsignal on
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > set print elements -1
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > set debugevents on
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > set new-console on
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > set disassembly-flavor att
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > catch throw
    Catchpoint 1 (throw)
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > source F:\Source\codeblocks_dbg\src\output\share\codeblocks/scripts/stl-views-1.0.3.gdb
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > directory C:/Users/Ceniza/DOCUME~1/VISUAL~1/Projects/EVENTT~1/
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > directory C:/Users/Ceniza/DOCUME~1/VISUAL~1/Projects/
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > break "C:/Users/Ceniza/Documents/Visual Studio 2010/Projects/EventsTest/EventsTest/main.cpp:362"
    Breakpoint 2 at 0x4014b4: file C:\Users\Ceniza\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\EventsTest\EventsTest\main.cpp, line 362.
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > run
    gdb: win32_init_thread_list
    [New thread 2404.0xb54]
    Error: dll starting at 0x76e80000 not found.
    Error: dll starting at 0x76b40000 not found.
    Error: dll starting at 0x76e80000 not found.
    Error: dll starting at 0x76d80000 not found.
    Breakpoint 2, main () at C:\Users\Ceniza\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\EventsTest\EventsTest\main.cpp:362
    C:\Users\Ceniza\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\EventsTest\EventsTest\main.cpp:362:9230:beg:0x4014b4
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > set debugevents off
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > info registers
    eax            0x28fec8    2686664
    ecx            0x76c57712    1992652562
    edx            0x41d158    4313432
    ebx            0x28fedc    2686684
    esp            0x28fe50    0x28fe50
    ebp            0x28ff28    0x28ff28
    esi            0x28fee8    2686696
    edi            0x28febc    2686652
    eip            0x4014b4    0x4014b4 <main+384>
    eflags         0x202    [ IF ]
    cs             0x23    35
    ss             0x2b    43
    ds             0x2b    43
    es             0x2b    43
    fs             0x53    83
    gs             0x2b    43
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:
    > info frame
    DWARF-2 expression error: DW_OP_reg operations must be used either alone or in conjuction with DW_OP_piece.
    Stack level 0, frame at 0x28ff30:
     eip = 0x4014b4 in main (C:\Users\Ceniza\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\EventsTest\EventsTest\main.cpp:362); saved eip 0x4010b6
     source language c++.
     Arglist at 0x28ff28, args:
     Locals at 0x28ff28, Previous frame's sp is 0x28ff30
    >>>>>>cb_gdb:

Works, too...
    Can you post a screenshot?

At first no window was ticked. I clicked on "Watches" (which was already visible), and it go its tick. Disassembly window was not shown. I clicked on it, I got it, and the tick was also there. CPU Registers was shown from the beginning, never clicked it, never got the tick.

Can you provide an icon, the other part of the job is easy to do? And I'll do it when I've the icon...

I will see if I can get it from the existing ones.

[edit]
    Proposed icons attached.
    [/edit]
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 05:09:52 pm by Ceniza »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
    • Lives here!
      • Travis build status
    « Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 05:24:40 pm »
    Hm, the disassembly command is not executed...

Code
    > disassemble
    Dump of assembler code for function main:
       0x0000000000400d6e <+0>: push   rbp
       0x0000000000400d6f <+1>: mov    rbp,rsp
       0x0000000000400d72 <+4>: push   r12
       0x0000000000400d74 <+6>: push   rbx

Probably the regex doesn't match in:

Code
    class GdbCmd_DisassemblyInit : public DebuggerCmd
    {
            void ParseOutput(const wxString& output)
            {
                cbDisassemblyDlg *dialog = Manager::Get()->GetDebuggerManager()->GetDisassemblyDialog();

if (reDisassemblyInit.Matches(output))
                {

Can you try to replace the
    static wxRegEx reDisassemblyInit(_T("^Stack level [0-9]+, frame at (0x[A-Fa-f0-9]+):"));
    with:
    static wxRegEx reDisassemblyInit(_T("Stack level [0-9]+, frame at (0x[A-Fa-f0-9]+):"));

And I think that disassembly won't work in your normal C::B, can you try that, too?

I've to restart to windows to do some testing there, on linux I've no problems with the checks :(
    [strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
    • Lives here!
      • Travis build status
    « Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 05:31:01 pm »
    [edit]
    Proposed icons attached.
    [/edit]
    Then next instruction should look more like the next line icon.

Also, what about a little rearranging:
    At the moment we have: Debug, RunToCursor, Next line, Next instruction, Step Into, Step Out, Pause, Stop.
    I think the following order is better: Debug, RunToCursor, Next line, Step Into, Step Out, Next instruction, Step into instruction, Pause, Stop.

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
    • Lives here!
      • CenizaSOFT
    « Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 06:58:44 pm »
    Can you try to replace the
    static wxRegEx reDisassemblyInit(_T("^Stack level [0-9]+, frame at (0x[A-Fa-f0-9]+):"));
    with:
    static wxRegEx reDisassemblyInit(_T("Stack level [0-9]+, frame at (0x[A-Fa-f0-9]+):"));

And I think that disassembly won't work in your normal C::B, can you try that, too?

Changing that regex fixes the issue, but I cannot see in which instruction the program actually is.

I also tried 10.5, and it has the same initial problem (empty window).

Then next instruction should look more like the next line icon.

Also, what about a little rearranging:
    At the moment we have: Debug, RunToCursor, Next line, Next instruction, Step Into, Step Out, Pause, Stop.
    I think the following order is better: Debug, RunToCursor, Next line, Step Into, Step Out, Next instruction, Step into instruction, Pause, Stop.

I do not like the "Next line" icon. It gives the idea that it skips something. I would prefer to change that one instead to something like <see attached>.

I also think rearranging the buttons like that is a good idea. What I find nice about Visual Studio is that 'instruction' debugging is mixed with C/C++ code in an editor window, so the step and next buttons work in instruction mode when that is the active editor. I hope we can get to mixed mode some day (all functionality is in GDB already).

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
    • Lives here!
    « Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 08:08:49 pm »
    I will wait with a debugger branch based special nightly, until these first issues are sorted out. PM me when it is good to go.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
    • Lives here!
    « Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 08:29:26 pm »
    I will wait with a debugger branch based special nightly, until these first issues are sorted out. PM me when it is good to go.
    Well - in fact all these work for me, too.
    @Ceniza: It seems you are using dwarf2 instructions? I never tried, but how well does GDB work with this in general...?!
    @oBFusCATed: Did you try dwarf2 yet?
    Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
    C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
    C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
    • Lives here!
      • Travis build status
    « Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 08:36:12 pm »
    @oBFusCATed: Did you try dwarf2 yet?
    I'm using gcc 4.4.4 and -g option, so if dwarf2 is the default in this gcc I've tried it.
    But I think it isn't

Offline PsYhLo

• Almost regular
    « Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 09:13:01 pm »
    when i launch wxsmith cb is crashing :(
    my old project and fresh from new projects

rev 6509

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
    • Lives here!
      • Travis build status
    « Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 09:19:48 pm »
    Can you provide a backtrace or crashreport file?

Also some OS info will come in handy :)