Author Topic: Default workspace ...  (Read 32826 times)

Offline advance-software

• Multiple posting newcomer
Default workspace ...
« on: August 13, 2010, 12:04:05 am »
Hi guys,

Code::blocks is awesome and you're all doing a great job ... but ...

this default workspace idea doesn't work.

Please add a configuration option to load previous solution on startup (like you can do in visual studio).

I might even hack it into the source locally - it's driving me nuts !

Cheers,
Steve Williams
Director
Advance Software.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Default workspace ...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 07:43:52 am »
At the moment you have to save your workspace as default.workspace in C::B's config folder and check "Settings -> Environment... -> General settings... -> On application start-up -> Open default workspace".
The name and the path are hardcoded.

If I do it this way it works for me.

I think we can add an option "Save workspace as default" to the "File"-menu and store the name of the default workspace in the conf-file.
Optionally we can save the workspace that was closed last as default.
The hardcoded name should be used as fallback (for loading) , if no default workspace is set.

And another issue I saw: the option "Open default workspace" is inactive if no project is loaded.
I think this should always be possible, f we are allowed to close the project (not just compiling it ...).

Should not be too hard to implement.
I will look into it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:46:49 am by jens »

Offline advance-software

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 11:36:36 am »
Hi Jens,

> Optionally we can save the workspace that was closed last as default.

Please - that's how I need it. I can't just save my workspace into some hardwired file somewhere because I'm working on a large project with about half a dozen workspaces (not projects). To save the current one somewhere else every time I exit is a pain & is likely to lead to errors / unintented ovewrites, etc.

Secondly, it takes it out of the source control directory so changes aren't tracked properly.

So summary - an option to load previous workspace on startup would be awesome.

Thanks for your interest & all the hard work.

Best regards,
Steve.

Offline advance-software

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 12:19:19 pm »
> Optionally we can save the workspace that was closed last as default.

... but *not* copy my workspace file to your hardwired default file. CB should reload the previous workspace by saving a reference to the path of the current workspace in a configuration file. Ideally, this reference will be updated whenever a workspace is loaded, rather than on exit in case CB crashes, not that this will ever happen of course :)

Pretty please with a cherry on top.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 12:26:42 pm by advance-software »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 12:34:16 pm »
... but *not* copy my workspace file to your hardwired default file. CB should reload the previous workspace by saving a reference to the path of the current workspace in a configuration file.

That's what I meant.

Ideally, this reference will be updated whenever a workspace is loaded, rather than on exit in case CB crashes, not that this will ever happen of course :)

That would be a problem, because we normally only save the configuration-file on exit and not whenever a setting has changed.

Offline advance-software

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 01:35:42 pm »
Save on exit is fine. Seems pretty stable anyway - I've yet to have it crash on me.

Cheers.