Author Topic: 'Global compiler settings' doesn't retain search dir entries  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Mountaingod

• Multiple posting newcomer
'Global compiler settings' doesn't retain search dir entries
« on: August 10, 2010, 07:05:12 pm »
On Windows Vista 32, with Code::Blocks 8.02 and MinGW (installed separately, not part of bundle):

I go to Settings -> Compiler and debugger -> Search directories. There, I add a folder to the list containing some custom headers I use frequently (same folder in both the compiler and linker tabs).

This works as expected - I can #include them in projects without having to manually 'add' them to the project list or tell the preprocessor filepaths. But when I close and reopen Code::Blocks, it forgets the search directories. My projects can no longer find the custom headers upon compilation, and I have to manually re-add them to the global compiler settings (as above) every time I start the IDE.

Is this a bug? Am I supposed to manually 'save settings' somewhere? I've changed other 'Global compiler settings' in the past, to set up GDB, and I didn't have this problem.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:09:01 pm by Mountaingod »

Offline Folco

• Regular
    • Folco's blog (68k lover)
Re: 'Global compiler settings' doesn't retain search dir entries
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:06:12 pm »
Hi,

I think you should upgrade to Codeblocks 10.05, which have many many bugfixes.
Kernel Extremist - PedroM power ©

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 11:29:22 pm »
The problem could be an permission issue; try opening Code::Blocks with run as Administrator and the do the changes and then exit normally (please do not use X in corner; some programs do not save when doing that; no idea if C::B is one.)

If this fixes it, then the problem is likely the new Security System under Vista; C::B 10.05 had some fixes for that; but not sure if fixed for this issue.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Mountaingod

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 08:52:15 pm »
Putting the search directories in after "Running as Administrator" fixed the problem - Code::Blocks now remembers them after closing. Funnily enough, I can set other 'global compiler settings' (e.g. compiler flags) without needing admin privileges, yet they still stick.

I will upgrade to latest version, thanks for your help. I should have guessed configuration issues were privilege-related!

EDIT: I should also mention that Code::Blocks has stopped updating its 'recent files' lists as have several other programs, a few months back. This lends weight to the idea that Vista changed at some point to 'break' those programs' ability to remember their settings. Hopefully updating Code::Blocks (and the other affected programs) will solve the wider problem.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:10:15 pm by Mountaingod »