Author Topic: Refuses to start built application  (Read 6364 times)

Offline Jimmio92

• Multiple posting newcomer
Refuses to start built application
« on: July 27, 2010, 12:33:41 am »
Hey all. I'm using Code::Blocks 10.05 along with MinGW (http://nuwen.net/mingw.html) in Windows 7 Ult. x64. This project worked flawlessly last install of Code::Blocks, so it's not my code, nor is it the project file from what I can tell. Windows died on me and after reinstalling it, then Code::Blocks and MinGW, it no longer can start the executable. It does compile, and it runs fine outside the IDE, but for some reason or another, Code::Blocks does NOTHING when trying to run. No output to the logs, no nothing.

Any ideas? :/

Thanks,
Jim

Offline kencamargo

Re: Refuses to start built application
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 04:28:43 am »
Windows died on me and after reinstalling it, then Code::Blocks and MinGW, it no longer can start the executable. It does compile, and it runs fine outside the IDE, but for some reason or another, Code::Blocks does NOTHING when trying to run. No output to the logs, no nothing.

Any ideas? :/

Thanks,
Jim

I'll go out on a limb here - some dll missing? Something went askew with paths in the IDE config? Is it a release or debug build? If debug, could it be a debugger problem?

Offline Jimmio92

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 06:22:16 am »
Nothing that I know of is missing, and the paths couldn't change, it was a totally fresh install. Debug and Release both do nothing.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:20:10 pm »
With all the incredible smartness built into Windows 7, it is hard to tell what goes on, but it might be that Windows hides one or several files from Code::Blocks for some reason. Try not to have either your compiler or Code::Blocks or your development folder live anywhere near C:\Program Files.

You know, all users are idiots, so Windows has to be super smart in their place. Files must be hidden and rolled back, and processes must be denied accessing resources in undocumented ways without raising a warning. This greatly increases security and is much cheaper than fixing the 72 million exploits built into various OS components.
Legitimate users only use legitimate Microsoft products anyway which have been fine-tuned for that kind of OS behaviour, and everyone else can fuck off.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Jimmio92

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 03:03:41 pm »
More like Microshaft products can fuck off. :)

Where do the global settings for Code::Blocks live? Somewhere in AppData, right?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 03:09:08 pm »
%APPDATA%/codeblocks
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jimmio92

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 03:53:22 pm »
New info! 8.02 works flawlessly. I have a feeling there's something wrong with the settings file that 10.05 makes. 8.02 works, so I'm now going to try to install 10.05 over top of it, and if it works, I think I've found a bug, go me.

Offline Jimmio92

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 04:01:30 pm »
Yep, that fixed it. Install 8.02, then 10.05 and the issue is gone. Bad settings file. Someone should confirm this by deleting the settings for codeblocks and install 10.05 by itself. Really strange..

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 04:08:33 pm »
Can you make a diff of the new and the old file %APPDATA%/codeblocks/default.conf ?

0. backup your current file
1. remove the file
2. install 8.02
3. copy somewhere
4. remove the file
5. install 10.05
6. copy somewhere with different name
7. diff file1 file2 > conf.diff or you can attach both files
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jimmio92

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 04:38:11 pm »
Difference is...

Original clean install of 10.05 has no files in any folders inside the %APPDATA%/codeblocks.

8.02 then 10.05 has plugins and such installed like they should be, and a good config file.

Looks like problem was found, eh?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 04:43:36 pm »
The conf-files will be created if C::B starts the first time.
I just tested it with official 10.05 release on my XP-box and it works fine.

Offline Jimmio92

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 04:47:50 pm »
They're not created on Windows 7 Ult. x64 (no User Account Control, nothing but standard AV protection from avast!) with 10.05. If I don't install overtop of 8.02 (deleting C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks first, but leaving the settings in appdata) I have a non-working install. This is really strange o.o

Offline Jimmio92

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 05:25:58 pm »
Was I supposed to pass anything to diff? I managed to get a broken install, and fix it again by pasting the old config file back.. so, it's definitely config issues. Diff file uploaded.

I don't see much in the.diff (renamed to the.txt as I can't upload a .diff file... as if file types matter for security) that is helpful, but here it is.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 10:57:26 pm »
Could not duplicate on Windows 7 32 bit; deleted Config. files and installation folder.
Note: I got tired of Confirm messages; So, I own all the Folders involved; so, I can put files there. This may NOT be normal on Windows 7.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:40:45 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 07:29:51 am »
I just tested it with official 10.05 release on my XP-box and it works fine.
Did the same thing recently - all fine. Tried the same on Vista - all OK. Who has Win7 and can try?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ