Author Topic: MinGW-w64 and Code::Blocks  (Read 8052 times)

Offline HighDarkTemplar

• Single posting newcomer
MinGW-w64 and Code::Blocks
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:13:50 am »
First of all, hi to everyone here!

I've been wondering about Code::Blocks and compiler&building support. I know that MingW32 ships with Code::Blocks, but how is support for MinGW-w64 coming along and how is the future plans for GCC compilers? Will Code::Blocks move from MingW32 to MinGW-w64? Version 1.0 stable was recently released.

Also, for wxWidgets, the version used, is it the latest working SVN version or the released ones that's used when compiling Code::Blocks?

Thanks alot for your time!

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: MinGW-w64 and Code::Blocks
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 12:22:20 pm »
Will Code::Blocks move from MingW32 to MinGW-w64? Version 1.0 stable was recently released.
Sure not anytime soon becasue this would mean that nobody could compile 32bit apps on a 32bit OS easily.

However, providing support for this compiler additianly is possible, even today.

C::B itself may become 64bit in the future, too (there are already some devs working on it), but again: this would mean a 64 OS as requirement which is still not very common (even I don't have such).

Also, for wxWidgets, the version used, is it the latest working SVN version or the released ones that's used when compiling Code::Blocks?
We usually use the latest officially released stable version which is 2.8.11, but due to unresolved issues with this version we distributed 2.8.10 with C::B 10.05. The 2.9.x versions are so-called 2.9 "development series" heading towards wxWidgets 3.0. We are also working on that, but I think a switch won't come any time soon, probably as late as with 3.x anyways.

However, to my knowledge C::B already compiles against 2.9.1 just fine.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline HighDarkTemplar

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 01:37:03 pm »
Will Code::Blocks move from MingW32 to MinGW-w64? Version 1.0 stable was recently released.
Sure not anytime soon becasue this would mean that nobody could compile 32bit apps on a 32bit OS easily.

However, providing support for this compiler additianly is possible, even today.

C::B itself may become 64bit in the future, too (there are already some devs working on it), but again: this would mean a 64 OS as requirement which is still not very common (even I don't have such).

It's a "cross-compiler" actually (between 32 and 64). If you take a look on the files at sourceforge, you see that there are two toolchains, one targeting 32-bit and one targeting 64-bit operating systems. Both toolchains exists for both 32-bit and 64-bit, which means that you can compile 64 bit binaries on a 32 bit operating system. However, the drawback is that if you ship Code::Blocks in both 32 and 64 bit versions, and the ability to compile both 32 and 64 bit binaries you add ~100mb file size (zipped that is) instead of the space that mingw32 uses.

Considering todays bandwidth, it's not a big problem (except for server costs and server load, perhaps)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 01:58:40 pm »
and the ability to compile both 32 and 64 bit binaries you add ~100mb file size (zipped that is) instead of the space that mingw32 uses.
Another easy solution for you is to download and setup the target compiler you like yourself. Then you can add a WiKi entry and everybody can do the same.

Look: With Code::Blocks you can literally target thousands of compilers. GCC alone has so many versions and derivatives that you cannot count them easily. So C::B was built to easily integrate the compiler of your choice.
You want to have the 64 bit compiler of your choice - so go ahead and just do it. C::B ships with one compiler for convenience because we believe that most people will be happy with this one. We cannot satisfy everybody of course. And bundeling every requested compiler is not possible for the reasons mentioned.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ