Author Topic: Digital Mars D  (Read 33943 times)

venix

Digital Mars D
« on: November 03, 2005, 12:05:30 am »
To those interested. I added support for the D language and compiler to Codeblocks.  The patch can be found here.  I will post a binary later on that should drop in replacement for the current release. I used 2.6.2 instead of 2.6.1 and that created DLL issues. So i have to recompile with 2.6.1 or whichver the release uses.

Binary Release
Codeblocks_with_d.exe Compressed with 7zip
Dlink.zip
I had to use wxWindows 2.6.2. Kept crashing without. So i've rebuilt all the included plugins.  The others didn't crash me at startup. Just download and extract over top your codeblocks folder. Will replce wxwindows dll.  I've included the sdk files.
More info

It is experimental, but it works nice.  Until I start using it more, or others start using it and finding bugs, I cannot make any guarantees to its stability.

It WILL NOT remove support for C/C++ compilers or remove any functionality already existant to codeblocks as of that release. It will give shell extensions to .D files tho.

I haven't created templates for it. And I may never.

It don't support linux either.

You can follow the instructions on their site to install it. The DMD version not GDC.  The dlink program needs to be put into the bin directory of the compiler. It wraps gcc syntax to the official linkers. For those interested,  I couldn't find a way to generate Dlls without creating a def file.  So I made that proram to do it for me.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 02:08:39 am by venix »

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: Digital Mars D
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 10:05:27 am »
Hello,

Interesting addition. Thanks for your work.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline tuft

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 09:56:42 pm »
I'm trying debug d program in codeblock I used gdb from codeblock instalation but it doesn't recognize executable format. Which version of gdb I should use?

venix

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 10:12:47 pm »
I'm trying debug d program in codeblock I used gdb from codeblock instalation but it doesn't recognize executable format. Which version of gdb I should use?
I haven't found a debugger for D executables.  They make a few suggestions on their site. http://www.dsource.org has one called dig dug, but i haven't tried it. GDB has a patch to support D if you use the gdc compiler.  I haven't played with that compiler at all.

Brork

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 06:51:28 pm »
This is really great, finally a good IDE for D.

Thank you very much!

I hope that this will be included in future releases of Code::Blocks.

And I also have a suggestion to change the way the compilation is works.

C::B should compile all source files with a single command like this:

dmd -c sourcepath1\source1.d sourcepath2\source2.d sourcepath3\source3.d

instead of like it is now:

dmd -c sourcepath1\source1.d
dmd -c sourcepath2\source2.d
dmd -c sourcepath3\source3.d

Compiling like this would make module- and packagenames independant of source filenames and directories.

JoeCoder

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 05:13:44 pm »
This is awesome... Now I can use my favorite IDE with my favorite language.
Only one problem.  The link is broken and has been for several days.  Anyone know of a mirror?  This seems too good to let it fade into oblivion.

venix

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 04:26:30 am »
This is awesome... Now I can use my favorite IDE with my favorite language.
Only one problem.  The link is broken and has been for several days.  Anyone know of a mirror?  This seems too good to let it fade into oblivion.

Ya, I have a linksys router.  Ain't the best of things.  Been having to reset it lately to restore my internet.  All should be good now.  And the files are still hosted. If you have a more permanent site, you are more than welcome to host them.  Also, the DLink ultility is umm, unsupported now.  I made it for dlls and DMD has is rather weak when it comes to that area.  Check the docs, and rewrite the linking commands to not use it. I belive the default Digital mars Compiler commands would work. As well as change the linker over.  But i think it does work still, its purpose was for dlls. Which are not supported by DMD.

JoeCoder

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 11:20:10 pm »
Nope, the links are still broken.  Email them to
eric (at) d512 (dot) com
and I'll put them up on my server and link to them here.  It's paid hosting so it should be pretty reliable.  Once that's done, you can add my server as a mirror to http://www.wikiservice.at/d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport#CodeBlocks as well as anywhere else that may link to them.

JoeCoder

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 07:50:48 pm »
Still no luck at downloading or obtaining the files.

If anyone could send me the files I can host them.  Again, eric (at) d512 (dot) com

JoeCoder

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 04:23:11 am »
Ok, they're hosted at:
www.d512.com/host/codeblocks_with_d.7z
www.d512.com/host/dlink.zip

I tried it out and I was able to get a simple Hello World app to compile and run--I just had to go in and set the paths to dmd.exe, the linker, etc.  I'll try out more when I get time.  Switching from Context to Code::Blocks for my game engine should make development quite a bit easier--but I guess I'll find out soon enough.  Hopefully this can get included in the official releases!

Oh, and if anyone wants to update the dwiki page with these links, feel free to.  I'll keep hosting them for as long as I can handle the traffic.

JoeCoder

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 06:07:15 am »
Ok, I've tried it out and it works great!  My SDL / OpenGL (Derelict bindings) game engine compiles and links quite well.  Granted, it just draws some cubes with some lame render to texture and pixel shader effects, but at this point it's just a matter of making sure these things will work at all.  I haven't played with DLL's any and probably won't for a whle.

venix

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 06:33:01 pm »
I haven't played with DLL's any and probably won't for a whle.
If your interested in DLLs and D, i suggest using GDC.  Using mingw's builtin support for DLLs & some modifications to the dmd code, you can get full support for DLLs. At least by my definition. The current Compiler frontend code lacks the ability to export dlls without some modficiations tho.

Offline Raindog

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 05:33:12 am »
I think it would be awesome if C::B went towards trying to provide a full fledged D IDE, the existing ones are not terribly great i'm afraid.

C::B Looks to be developing very nicely and I am very excited about it.

the D programming language looks to be a c++ programmers dream come true but it really needs a more focused community.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 01:18:14 pm »
Maybe You've noticed that compiler plugin is being highly worked on. And I quess (and hope so) that after "rebirth" it will be really easy to add D support.

BTW. I've looked into D specification and I really enjoy it. I vote for adding D support to C::B :D

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 09:46:19 pm »
the D programming language looks to be a c++ programmers dream come true but it really needs a more focused community.

Personally, I am still sceptic about D programming language. I have read its features and I like them :). Some C++ experts (and members of the standardization committee) have spoken good of it. Anyway D is not so known (a lot of people I have spoken with have never heard about it), there are no published books (may be I am wrong here :)) and also (and it is the most important point for me) no standardization process.

Anyway, I am in favor of a full integration of D in C::B :).

Michael