Author Topic: Ubuntu - error - installation  (Read 37900 times)

Offline BlubBlub

• Single posting newcomer
Ubuntu - error - installation
« on: June 02, 2010, 05:46:49 pm »
Hey guys.

I tried to install codeblocks 10.05. But everytime when I want to install the 'wxsmith-dev' package this error appears:

Error: Breaks existing package 'wxsmith-headers' conflict: wxsmith-dev (< 10.05-1)

Can somebody help me?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Ubuntu - error - installation
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:04:44 pm »
Which version of ubuntu do you use ?
Can you please describe the exact steps to get this error (commands) ?

Offline BlubBlub

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:43:04 pm »
hey jens,

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) 64-bit.

1. I downloaded the compressed package from here.
2. Then I extract it, and clicked on each .deb file. Sometimes it said, that I must install another .deb file before I can install the other.
3. Now I'm stucking. When I click on "wxsmith-dev_10.05-1_amd64.deb" it gives me an error:

Code
Error: Breaks existing package 'wxsmith-headers' conflict: wxsmith-dev (< 10.05-1)

Why is there no installer like windows?

Offline kencamargo

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 12:03:15 am »
1. I downloaded the compressed package from here.
2. Then I extract it, and clicked on each .deb file. Sometimes it said, that I must install another .deb file before I can install the other.
3. Now I'm stucking. When I click on "wxsmith-dev_10.05-1_amd64.deb" it gives me an error:
Code

Those packages aren't necessary unless you are going to build the whole thing on your own.

If you want to do it the Ubuntu way (add a repository and then have the updates automatically shown to you), you can either download the packages from Jen's repo or from pasgui's one. Jen's binaries need the wxWidget libraries from the official wxWidgets repo, whereas pasgui's run perfectly with the one that come with Ubuntu since 9.10. They are not yet updated to 10.5 but for practical purposes are just the same.

Jen's page has the address to all of the above.

Why is there no installer like windows?

Maybe because under Linux you actually don't need one?

Offline KammutierSpule

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 12:24:04 pm »
Same exactly situation here. same distro version and same codeblocks package.

also,
I cannot install codeblocks.deb it self:

"Erro: Quebra o conflito do pacote existente 'codeblocks-common': codeblocks (< 10.05-1)"

I also tried install the SVN version and I got that error when running codeblocks:
codeblocks: relocation error: /usr/local/lib/libcodeblocks.so.0: symbol _ZN13wxAuiNotebook7SetFontERK6wxFont, version WXU_2.8 not defined in file libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.8.so.0 with link time reference

any hint?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:39:07 pm »
Try it fromm commandline as root or with sudo and use dpkg -i <list_of_all_the_deb_files_you_want_seperated_with_space>.
If a file is missing add it to the list.
You do not need the -dev, -dbg and -header-files unless you want to develop for codeblocks.
You need at least the codeblocks, codeblocks-common and libcodeblocks0 packages.
If you want the contrib-plugins (you most likely want them), you also need codeblocks-contrib, codeblocks-contrib-common and libwxsmith0.
I suggest also installing one of the doc-packages (-doc-de or -doc-en).

If you use the debian packages and are on ubuntu > 9.10, you have to  use wxwidgets-poackages from apt.wxwidgets.org (see http://wiki.wxpython.org/InstallingOnUbuntuOrDebian for details).
As far as I know, the wxwidgets-packages shipped with ubuntu (>9.10) are still not binary-compatible with the packages provided by apt.wxwidgets.org I used to build the packages with.
The packages from wxwidgtes.org are wx2.8.11, but should work with the debs also (at least they do it here).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:52:15 am by jens »

Offline BlubBlub

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 12:54:30 pm »
Great!

It works! - Thanks Jens!

Offline KammutierSpule

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 01:40:05 pm »
I've finally succeed install and running SVN version,
I think the solution was in my case:
add all the wxXXXXXX to apt repositories.. and install last versions, then, _remove_ OLD versions (2.6 i think)
I had to manually "forced" to update to last version..
then mix it very well.. reboot.. and reinstall again SVN.. =)

but i think if you follow jens solutions it will work better.

thanks!
KS

Offline san

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 12:40:45 pm »
*** short instructions to install codeblocks 10.05 on ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) ***

1) If you have codeblocks 8.02 installed remove it.
Code
sudo apt-get remove codeblocks

2) Add the wxwidgets repository to your system. (or add "deb http://apt.wxwidgets.org/ lucid-wx main" to your system throuh the gui System->Administration->Software Sources->Other Software->Add...)
Code
echo "deb http://apt.wxwidgets.org/ lucid-wx main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

3) Add the key to trust the repository and update apt
Code
wget -q http://apt.wxwidgets.org/key.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update

4) Install the correct wxwidgets verion.
Code
sudo apt-get install libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-dev wx2.8-headers wx-common

5) Install codeblocks 64 bit version (paste this line in the folder where you've downloaded and extracted the 10.05 package)
Code
sudo dpkg -i codeblocks_10.05-1_amd64.deb codeblocks-common_10.05-1_all.deb libcodeblocks0_10.05-1_amd64.deb codeblocks-contrib_10.05-1_amd64.deb codeblocks-contrib-common_10.05-1_all.deb libwxsmithlib0_10.05-1_amd64.deb codeblocks-doc-en_10.05-1_all.deb
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:48:00 pm by san »

Offline Klaw117

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 02:58:30 pm »
*** short instructions to install codeblocks 10.05 on ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) ***

1) If you have codeblocks 8.02 installed remove it.
Code
sudo apt-get remove codeblocks

2) Add the wxwidgets repository to your system. (or add "deb http://apt.wxwidgets.org/ lucid-wx main" to your system throuh the gui System->Administration->Software Sources->Other Software->Add...)
Code
echo "deb http://apt.wxwidgets.org/ lucid-wx main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

3) Add the key to trust the repository and update apt
Code
wget -q http://apt.wxwidgets.org/key.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update

4) Install the correct wxwidgets verion.
Code
sudo apt-get install libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-dev wx2.8-headers wx-common

5) Install codeblocks 64 bit version (paste this line in the folder where you've downloaded and extracted the 10.05 package)
Code
sudo dpkg -i codeblocks_10.05-1_amd64.deb codeblocks-common_10.05-1_all.deb libcodeblocks0_10.05-1_amd64.deb codeblocks-contrib_10.05-1_amd64.deb codeblocks-contrib-common_10.05-1_all.deb libwxsmithlib0_10.05-1_amd64.deb codeblocks-doc-en_10.05-1_all.deb

What exactly do you mean when you say "paste this line in the folder where you've downloaded and extracted the 10.05 package" in step 5? I'm a huge noob when it comes to Ubuntu, so I usually don't understand anything about it. I tried to paste that code into the terminal, but it said something about an error because it could find the file/directory.

By the way, do I download codeblocks-10.05-1-debian-amd64.tar.bz2 or codeblocks-10.05-1-debian-dbg-amd64.tar.bz2?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm »
Don't use *-dbg-* unless you want to debug C::B itself.

Before running sudo dpkg -i ..., you need to unpack the tar.bz2-file:tar -jxvf codeblocks-10.05-1-debian-amd64.tar.bz2 .

Offline Klaw117

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 03:14:57 pm »
I didn't include any -dev, -dbg or -header- files (like your last post from June 3rd said). I also already extracted all the files with the archive manager, but I'm getting this in my terminal (look at the screenshot):

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 04:05:38 pm »
I didn't include any -dev, -dbg or -header- files (like your last post from June 3rd said).

My post was meant as answer of your question about the tar-ball you should download.

Are you sure you run the sudo dpkg -i ... from the same directory you extracted the deb-files to ?

Offline Klaw117

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 05:51:57 pm »
I didn't include any -dev, -dbg or -header- files (like your last post from June 3rd said).

My post was meant as answer of your question about the tar-ball you should download.

Are you sure you run the sudo dpkg -i ... from the same directory you extracted the deb-files to ?
Ok, now I know which one to download (sorry, I'm a bit slow sometimes). Thanks for that.

As for running from the same directory...I'm really, REALLY bad at the Terminal (I'm still trying to learn the commands. The only one I have down right now is sudo). How do you tell the Terminal to run them from the same directory?

I'm sorry if this is a hassle for you. I have no experience in the command line interface unless it's the Windows Command Prompt or a Cisco Router CLI.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 07:37:27 pm »
It's no problem to use the tar-ball with the debug-files, It's just much larger and contains deb-files you do not need.

I can tell you how to cd to the folder your deb's are in, but I do not do it for two reasons:

1. it's far beyond the scope of our forum to teach how OS basics work,
2. it's better to find it out yourself, because learning how to find find solutions for problems is one of the most important things for any programmer.