Author Topic: Highlight all  (Read 6648 times)

Offline quadraif

• Single posting newcomer
Highlight all
« on: May 17, 2010, 07:37:57 pm »
It's impossible to overstate how useful it can be to double-click a variable or function (or anything) name and see all the occurrences of it suddenly become highlighted. It can give a sudden clarity to an obtuse piece of code, to see what's used where very quickly. It can help you trail the exploits of an object throughout a function, or quickly double check that you used the right spelling in many repetitive instances of the same class name instead of waiting for compilation.

It's useful. It's one of my favorite features of Notepad++, and the main reason I still use it sometimes instead of CB for C++ coding. Even Eclipse has it, though not in the preferred double-click form. I believe it's been mentioned on this board before but I'm hoping it'll be released sooner rather than later.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Highlight all
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:02:20 pm »
It's available since a long time in the nightly builds and will (of course) be part of the next release, that will come soon.

Offline quadraif

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:58:03 pm »
Then my purpose in life is done.

Oh, an even more useful addition would be the ability to Ctrl+double click further terms you wish to highlight, so they'll be highlighted as well, though in different in colors. All instances of the first term might be green, second purple, etc....

However, this is more than good enough for now.

Offline danselmi

• Developer
  • Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 10:50:01 pm »
Perhaps, this is helpful for you.
Its a small plugin i wrote to highlight occurrences "permanently" (right click -> "Permanently Highlight 'xy' "). It highlights all occurences from the list with the same color in all editors.
I "needed" this plugin for editing netlists (VHDL), to highlight signals.

[attachment deleted by admin]