Author Topic: Some MacOSX 10.5.8 trouble on PowerMacG5 with Plugins and Compilation  (Read 3611 times)

Offline Smirftsch

• Multiple posting newcomer
First I want to say how impressed I am about CodeBlocks, I didn't expect such a tool after I noticed how long the last release is ago, indeed I avoided at first trying it because other tools seemed to be more active, but its way better than most other comparable programs out there. Just the date of the last release makes the impression at first of being unmaintained/inactive. Anyways, thank you for this great piece of work.

Now to the problems, I'm using CodeBlocks for a while now in Linux without any trouble and due the fact it is multiplatform its perfect to aid in porting apps for other platforms. But being pretty new to MacOS I ran into some difficulties.

I tried at first with 8.02, which seemed to work but it doesn't seem to save configs like new compilers and sometimes not even the layout. I found out soon that this is probably caused by not closing it correctly, it often hangs while closing and sometimes I needed to force quit it. Also starting it up after closing it one time often caused that it didn't restart correctly anymore, it didn't create any windows anymore, just the menubar in the top.

Also when I tried to compile a project it just doesn't do anything- it hangs in build window at the first file with: compiling example.cpp - it doesnt matter how long I wait it's just stuck there.

Compiling 8.02 from source didn't change any of these problems, except I had to learn how to make apps work in MacOS. I have to admit that I still don't get fully the idea of install_name_tool and @executable_path, but following the wiki I made it run.

So I tried with SVN build. After having some difficulties compiling it, I needed to compile new wxwidgets first, I made it successfully to have a working build. This fixed all problems I had with closing it and it starts up way faster. Happy about that I had to notice that there are no plugins at all, although I compiled them and put them into plugin directory.
Reading the startup I know now why it doesn't find them:
Scanning for plugins in /Applications/CodeBlocksSVN.app/Contents/Resources/share/codeblocks

No, the paste is not cut off, it really tries to find the plugins in /codeblocks instead of /codeblocks/plugins
But I didn't find where this path is defined. How to adjust this?

So I copied the plugins for testing in the local plugins folder in /Users/smir/Library/Application Support/codeblocks/share/codeblocks/plugins and it is finding them. Its taking now way longer to start it up, but the plugins seem to work, however it sometimes happens again that it doesn't close correctly and won't restart completely after that as described above, until a reboot of the machine. Then it starts up at least once without problems. Although not happening that often anymore it is the same in 8.02 binary from here, in self compiled 8.02 and in SVN build.
I assume some plugin is causing that problem, maybe something like that is known, if not I will test plugin for plugin until I find out which is causing it. Couldn't find anything in the forums here. Maybe some PPC issue?

But the major problem is still that when I try to compile a project it still stucks.
"Compiling Example.cpp" and that's it.

Maybe someone can shed some light on these problems for me, as said I'm pretty new with MacOS so there is a pretty good chance I missed something.
Thx.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Some MacOSX 10.5.8 trouble on PowerMacG5 with Plugins and Compilation
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 01:59:53 pm »
DId you read this and this ?

It might be helpful.

Offline Smirftsch

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 03:51:40 pm »
Indeed I didn't see those before, but it seems they are of little use for me either.
It reveals some more details about install_name_tool, but the app there can't be executed, probably its some intel binary. In any case it shows that the plugins are there in the /codeblocks folder also, instead of /codeblocks/plugins - so at least this is not my fault - question is, is it some glitch or by purpose in new versions?
Also none of my other problems seem to be happening for those people  :(

Edit:
After some more tests I found out that the compiling freeze problem was caused by taking over my project from the linux version. I missed the "march=pentium3" setting, which is obviously invalid on my PowerMac. Removing it AND a rebuild then did it- only wondering why it didn't say that this option is invalid after "clean all" and "build", only with "rebuild".
Maybe a bug, need to check the buglist again and add it if missing.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:44:59 am by Smirftsch »

Offline Smirftsch

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:50:04 am »
sry for doubleposting, not sure if this is ok here or not, but I thought I keep you up to date, since Mac users seem to be rare here.

For some reason it seems that all start and close problems as mentioned above are gone if running CodeBlocks as Administrator. When running as admin it safes the config and it starts up and closes CodeBlocks correctly. It also stores the new compiler I added ( GCC3.4.6 ), which it never did when running it as user.
Now I'm wondering what can cause this? I don't see what part needs administrative rights here to work?

Oh, although it works when starting as admin in console I get:  CodeBlocks[312] <Error>: CGContextRestoreGState: invalid context