Author Topic: How do I run a project?  (Read 5042 times)

Offline venom4u31

• Multiple posting newcomer
How do I run a project?
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:38:26 pm »
This questions may seem odd in a very nice way to say it, but as amazingly as it would seem I can't work my way into the buttons there.

I made a program, I have put into a project a folder with the source file in it, and another folder with two files: one for introducing data into the program, and one for displaying it (using the library fstream). The compiler it runs on is GNU GCC compiler.

All I want to do is to run the whole project so that the output file has something in it, as the input is properly filled.

There is a build button, which does it's job, as if there are some errors inside the program, it signals them correctly. But, there's also a run button, which apparently does nothing. Nothing happens, except the screen blinking a short bit.

Please, I worked for hours trying to find a way into forcing the program into a task as simple as executing the project, tell me how do I execute the files? I went even in the project folder using windows explorer and tried to run the executable; for a brief moment the cmd window flashed in front of me, but absolutely nothing happened next.

Please note also, that I am almost convinced it is not an error from the program due to an installation or configuration issue; it may be the project in the worst case, but I remember clearly that the program worked four months ago just fine (after some other hours of digging).

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: How do I run a project?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 06:49:37 pm »
Go to Project -> Properties, then to the Build targets tab and check if the target you are using (or even all of them) have the option Pause when execution ends ticked. That will make Code::Blocks run your program through another helper program that will wait until you press a key before quiting.

Offline venom4u31

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 06:59:59 pm »
I went there, and as you told me, there were under the build targets tab, the option pause after execution ends at both targets (debug and release) enabled. I unchecked both of them and tried to run both programs. Unfortunately the same thing happened. I tested with the basic program as well (after unchecking pause after execution ends as well):
Code
#include <iostream.h>
using namespace std;
int main ()
{cout<<"Hello world!";
return 0;
}

There was no change.

I have not done much change inside the program settings, probably there are some settings to be done; I am a rookie at this program, so, even if I stumbled on the complex settings once or twice, I didn't change a thing.

Offline venom4u31

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:27:45 pm »
Ok, I have solved the problem. I murdered the program and then reinstalled it again. I searched on youtube the solving of this problem and stumbled across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec-yYMTUV3c The damn thing worked like a charm.

Thank you for this wonderful program which proved a little buggy and consider trying to use the instructions on the video on guiding the newcomers.