Author Topic: Can't find compiler executable error - not nice  (Read 18629 times)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: Can't find compiler executable error - not nice
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 08:06:02 pm »
What about a meta-template format that includes inside different templates for different compilers?

But this is already supported. Just *try* to create a new Ogre project. You 'll see you have the option to create a GCC or MSVC one. That's why I commented-out the code in C::B that set the compiler. The template can set it alone.
BUT not all templates are like that, hence the problem. For simple templates it seems that C::B has this bug.

And I can understand people when thinking that a new project would be created for their default compiler. It's just that more complex projects need different options based on the compiler...

I 'm afraid this issue won't be resolved in a satisfactory way, until the compiler framework is redesigned (post-1.0).
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

takeshimiya

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 08:33:55 pm »
But I'm talking about a template that haves BOTH GCC and MSVC options, and depending on what the default compiler is, use the respecting options.

Think of it as 2 different templates inside 1.

Or I'm missing something?

EDIT: Anyways, it's better to wait for post-1.0 to resolve this at a compiler-plugin level rather than at a template level.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 09:00:13 pm »
I see... what a pity. But I still don't like it, if all it takes to solve this problem is to add a couple more templates, why not doing it?

There are TONS of MSVC users out there, why bother them with unnecessary annoyances?
If the default behavior causes problems, then it shouldn't be the default behavior at all, right?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 09:27:38 pm »
Quote from: mandrav
Maybe a flag in the template specification allowing (automatic) compiler change after project creation, would do the trick?

Quote from: rickg22
I think a quick "hack" (or fix? Wink ) would be to specify whether the Template is compiler-specific or not. If it's compiler-specific, have the template specify a particular compiler.

We 're saying the same thing here. I believe it's the only logical solution for now...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2005, 10:46:54 pm »
Alright! It's settled then. :)