Author Topic: [Feature Request] integration with etherpad.com  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
[Feature Request] integration with etherpad.com
« on: February 25, 2010, 05:05:04 am »
Well im aware that etherpad.com got bought by google and has a shutdown date but piratepad.org/net (forget which) has their own server running already.  Is it feasible somehow to integrate that into C::B editor for synchronized editing of a given src file across multiple net enabled PCs ?

I accept its probably not feasible but just an idea to put out.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: [Feature Request] integration with etherpad.com
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 10:54:55 am »
I don't see why it should not be feasible via a plugin, it's not like there is anything special or revolutionary behind it.

Though, of course, it's a bit of work, you would probably need to sacrifice something like 3-5 days on that. Basically you would have to read the JavaScript client code and implement the network packets sent in terms of C++ and EditorEvents.
Since you can (or rather, have to) ignore styles like bold or italic, all you need to take care of is insert and delete mesages plus join/leave messages, which should not be too harsh overall. Plus, you would need to add a small window to the management pane where one can see the per-user colour code.

The biggest problem (apart from time and interest) is the fact that the source is only available via Mercurial (which, if you're like me, you might not have).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."