Author Topic: Question from a Novice.  (Read 4022 times)

Offline JazzCat

• Single posting newcomer
Question from a Novice.
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:53:55 am »
Hi there.

I'm attempting to use codeblocks to compile even the most basic hello world program and am having difficulty. I just want to choose "File", "New", "File", "C/C++ Source", advance through the wizard by choosing C++ for the language, give a file location, finish the wizard, paste in some code, go to the build menu and choose Build and Run. I thought it would be this simple but nothing appears down in the Build Log. It's as if nothing even registers.

Can someone please help me here?

Many thanks.

JazzCat.

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
Re: Question from a Novice.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:06:35 am »
Operating System,   Which version is CodeBlocks ( "latest" is NOT an answer. be specific).  What compiler did you install..  what version is your compiler..  have you set up your 'toolchain executables' properly.

Answer the questions you can and if you dont understand a question please use the search option to look in the forums and try Google too.

Offline JazzCat

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 12:53:39 pm »
Hi there. Thanks for the swift reply.

OS is Windows Vista Home Premium. Version is 8.02. Am I to understand that I need to install a separate compiler that links with Codeblocks? Sorry, I was under the impression that CodeBlocks was or included a compiler. And no. I have not set up any toolchain executables nor do I know what these are.

I look forward to your reply.

JazzCat.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 02:05:58 pm »
Now go search for "codeblocks vista" or "mingw vista"....
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline JazzCat

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 05:22:30 am »
I believe I have the correct version of Codeblocks. It seems to be running fine on Vista.

Seronis, can you please let me know how to proceed from here?

JazzCat.

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 09:09:57 am »
The issue isnt codeblocks.  Its the compiler.  I sent you a message with some info.   please read it

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 09:12:40 am »
Or read carefully what you download:

http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/5

NOTE: The compiler included in codeblocks-8.02mingw-setup.exe does not work reliable on Windows Vista. Please do not use it and install a more recent one from MinGW. That is because at the time Code::Blocks was released there was no working GCC for Windows Vista available. Meanwhile there is.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]