Author Topic: New joiner.  (Read 3606 times)

Offline richarduk

• Multiple posting newcomer
New joiner.
« on: March 11, 2010, 07:11:03 pm »
Hi, just like to say hi. I've settled on using code blocks for my Linux development as I feel more at home coming from Visual studio. Great work guys!
I've built it fetching the source from SVN and had no problems doing this on Ubuntu 9.10

So, a question, what steps should I take so that I can contribute?

I've been a programmer for over 20 years, starting out in the 8bit days, doing well on the Amiga then moving to the PC and windows (whoops).
I've been working in 3D development since 97 and have worked for the likes of Sega, EA, Eidos and recently TomTom. I've also done a lot of military coding work which I can't talk about. ;)

So I think I can bring some of my experience to bare on this project and help to move it along.

So, where do I start???

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: New joiner.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 08:08:08 pm »
Find a bug and fix it or look at the bug tracker at berlios.de :)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline richarduk

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:40:13 pm »
Is there a tutorial on getting started on bug fixing? I would guess I need to create a few accounts. Can you point me in the right direction? :)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 09:31:24 pm »
Welcome! :-)

Is there a tutorial on getting started on bug fixing? I would guess I need to create a few accounts. Can you point me in the right direction? :)
Not really.

You don't really need an account in the first place. From the main webpage of C::B you can get the sources of C::B via SVN. The WiKi and the forums features a lot information about how to compile C::B yourself for your platform.

Then go to the BerliOS C::B project page and browse through the bugs in the bug tracker 8the link is also available via the main web page). Grab yourself a bug you think that is annoying and try to resolve. Learn how to debug C::B using C::B (I am sure you know debugging in general ;-)).

Finally create a patch using SVN and provide it to the community via the forums / the patch tracker.

Just give it a try!!! :-)
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 09:37:30 pm »
Project site: http://developer.berlios.de/projects/codeblocks/
Create a account to add comments and submit bugs and patches.

You might just want to confirm some already reported bugs exist and add comments to the bug report bug still exists in svn xxx. Where xxx is the most recent nightly build or newer.

If your distribution was a less common one, I would suggest help building the compiled binary.

I would start by reading all/some of the Wiki pages and adding new ones on how to use Code::Blocks; if you good at doing wiki pages.

if you are on a 64 bit system, you might check to confirm 64 bit builds work on a weekly or so basis.

You can create project templates as a simple starting point.

What I have done is build Code::Blocks under Windows without using precompiled headers
You can do the same under Linux.
A problem happens about once every 2 months and I submit a patch to the nightly build or to CB Project if it is very big.

Tim S.

C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org