Author Topic: Why debugging does not work?  (Read 4247 times)

Offline slow_rider

• Single posting newcomer
Why debugging does not work?
« on: February 19, 2010, 05:22:19 pm »
How can I follow the execution of a loop (for example) and observe the variable value changes as the code runs? I'm writing code for an AVR in C and the path is OK and I know how to load variables into the watch windows and even mark break points but i would like to run the entire code step by step...

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
Re: Why debugging does not work?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 05:34:12 pm »
what OS are you using?  what version of C::B?  what compiler are you using?  what debugger do you have installed ? and what is an AVR?  Only information supplied is language so assuming you have versions of all the above that are supposed to work make sure you run your program using the debug menu and not the 'play' button.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 05:37:18 pm by Seronis »

Offline slow_rider

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:15:49 pm »
what OS are you using?  what version of C::B?  what compiler are you using?  what debugger do you have installed ? and what is an AVR?  Only information supplied is language so assuming you have versions of all the above that are supposed to work make sure you run your program using the debug menu and not the 'play' button.

I'm using WinXP, Code blocks 8.02, GCC AVR compiler.

How can I tell what debugger is installed?
AVR = MCU made by Atmel.

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:28:33 pm »
Googling AVR Atmel it seems to be a compiler for embedded systems which I have no experience with at all.  Best I can say is that since you are using a specialized compiler the debugger should have come with it.  Since you said its GCC based the gnu debugger -might- work but I dont really know.  What I do know is that C::B officially only has debugger plugins to manage using the gnu debugger and the m$vs debugger.

Double check to see if AVR uses a special debugger.  If not try installing the gnu debugger and use it.  Personally cant help more than that though someone more experienced might be able to.  Might also be worth asking in the embedded forum category if no one else answers here in the next day or two.