Author Topic: Ctrl+Shift+F9  (Read 9870 times)

Offline johne53

• Regular
Ctrl+Shift+F9
« on: October 30, 2009, 05:19:00 pm »
Please, please, please can somebody look into the fact that Ctrl+Shift+F9 is no longer working (svn 5859, downloaded a week ago, from a nightly build for Windows).

I'm led to believe that this key combination still works for the gcc compiler (presumably under Linux) but I cannot make it work at all in the Windows version of C::B. I've tried it with Visual C++6, Visual C++2005 and Cygwin gcc. The 'Build log' window gets cleared but then nothing further happens.

zabzonk

Re: Ctrl+Shift+F9
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 05:30:25 pm »
What are you expecting it to do? I redefined it to pop up the Find... dialog and it works perfectly. This is with Win2K and SVN 5859.

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 06:24:11 pm »
It used to compile the current file (i.e. compile but not link). This is something I use all the time. If there's some way to configure it to have its old behaviour back, I'd be really pleased to find out how.

zabzonk

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 06:45:39 pm »
I just redefined the Compile Current File key setting to be Ctrl+Shif+F9 n Settings|Editor|Keyboard Shortcuts, and it works perfectly.

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 08:48:32 pm »
I tried your example of making Ctrl+Shift+F9 pop up a find dialog and that does seem to work. I then tried assigning some other key combinations to give me the functionality of compiling the current file - but no matter what key combination I select, it just doesn't work  :(

Might there be something else that could be disabling this functionality?

[Edit...] I've just realised that the menu option Build->Compile Current File doesn't work either, so obviously something more fundamental is wrong.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:56:18 pm by johne53 »

zabzonk

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 09:14:02 pm »
Can't help any more (not that I was any help) I'm afraid. We appear to be using the same version of CB and the differences are:

- I'm using Win2K - as I seem to be the only person on Earth still using it, this might be a n important difference.

- I'm using TD GCC 4.4.0. You didn't mention that in your list of compilers.

Perhaps a dev could comment on whether these differences could be significant?

EDIT:
And of course check that your Settings|Compiler & Debuggger|Tooolchain settings have not somehow got screwed up.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:03:26 pm by zabzonk »

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 11:48:40 pm »
Funnily enough it was mentioned in this thread:- http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,11388.0.html (about 3 posts from the bottom of page 1) that compiling a single file was working okay with the gcc compiler. But I haven't managed to make it work with any other compiler  :(

I wonder if it's significant that the only reports of it working so far have been with the gcc compiler selected?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 11:57:17 pm »
Funnily enough it was mentioned in this thread:- http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,11388.0.html (about 3 posts from the bottom of page 1) that compiling a single file was working okay with the gcc compiler. But I haven't managed to make it work with any other compiler  :(

I wonder if it's significant that the only reports of it working so far have been with the gcc compiler selected?
Does it change anything if you set your MS-compiler as default compiler ?
Or did you already try that ?

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 08:39:43 am »
Does it change anything if you set your MS-compiler as default compiler ?

Woohoo..! Yes, that's it Jens. What a flash of genius! In fact, it doesn't seem to matter which compiler I select as my default, as long as the compiler is physically present on my machine. However, if the default compiler is set to some arbitrary compiler that doesn't actually exist (as it was in my case) Shift+Ctrl+F9 stops working. It stops working - even if the (project's) selected compiler does actually exist. You found it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 08:43:48 am by johne53 »

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 01:45:24 pm »
I thought I'd just had a flash of inspiration myself (but it turned out to be wrong). For a moment I wondered if Ctrl+Shift+F9 might be mistakenly using the default compiler instead of the project's selected compiler. AFAICT that doesn't seem to be the case. When it works, it does seem to use the correct compiler but for some unknown reason, Ctrl+Shift+F9 seems to take the default compiler into account (whereas Ctrl+F9 and Ctrl+F11 don't).

I don't have the relevant source code so I can't see if there's a reason for this. Is there just a mistake in the strategy somewhere?