Author Topic: Feature request: A 'comments' tab for the build options.  (Read 3340 times)

Offline johne53

• Regular
Feature request: A 'comments' tab for the build options.
« on: September 25, 2009, 10:41:01 am »
Given that C::B is a cross-platform product I wondered if it might be useful to have a 'comments' tab (in the Build Options dialog) along with the other tabs such as Compiler Flags, #defines etc? Or alternatively, to have a Comments section in addition to the other dropdown options (Compiler Settings / Linker Settings / Search Directories etc)? I can imagine this being useful for quite a lot of reasons but especially so the programmer can make a note of different build settings that might be applicable to specific platforms. Here's an example:-

I'm working on a project whose workspace has about 20 branches (i.e. 20 projects). One of the branches contains some highly recursive search routines. If I compile this project under Cygwin, the Debug version runs so slowly that you can think it's hung! I can overcome this by turning on the speed optimizations for that particular branch (which is something I don't normally do for a Debug build). It would be nice if I could attach a note to that project to remind me (in the future) of why I needed to turn on the speed optimizations for the Cygwin build.

I'm sure there'd be lots of other uses too. Does anyone else think this would be a useful addition?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Feature request: A 'comments' tab for the build options.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 01:48:06 pm »
It would be nice if I could attach a note to that project to remind me (in the future) of why I needed to turn on the speed optimizations for the Cygwin build.
You can do that. There is a notes tab in the project options (which I personally use a lot). You can even have C::B remind the user automatically when opening the project, until acknowledged.
Project -> Properties -> Tab "Notes" (Checkbox "AutoShow" at the bottom, if needed).
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline johne53

• Regular
Re: Feature request: A 'comments' tab for the build options.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 03:32:24 pm »
I might have known someone would think of it first  :D

Thanks for the tip..!