Author Topic: Using Too Much Hard Drive Spce  (Read 4649 times)

diego_pmc

Using Too Much Hard Drive Spce
« on: September 01, 2009, 09:59:24 pm »
On sait depuis longtemps que travailler avec du texte lisible et contenant du sens est source de distractions, et empêche de se concentrer sur la mise en page elle-même. L'avantage du Lorem Ipsum sur un texte générique comme 'Du texte. Du texte. Du texte.' est qu'il possède une distribution de lettres plus ou moins normale, et en tout cas comparable avec celle du français standard.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:02:16 am by diego_pmc »

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Using Too Much Hard Drive Spce
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 10:10:44 pm »
What compiler and version are you using?

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 10:39:23 pm »
Hello,

1. Codeblocks is not a compiler but an IDE (integrated development environment) the compiler is gcc or something else you are using
2. What is the configuration you're building Debug or Release:
2.1. Debug builds produce bigger executables
2.1.1. Because the debug info is embedded in the exe
2.1.2. If there is heavily templated code (boost, stl) the optimizer have not removed the unneeded things brought in by the meta-programming techniques used.
3. If you're using the Release target, you can specify the -s (strip executable, there is config option in the compiler tab), this one removes any removable symbols, so it minimizes the size of the exe.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 11:01:18 am »
Ah, sorry about that. I was compiling just a debug build — I didn't know what Debug and Release meant so I didn't just left them as they were by default. The exe has just 418 KB now. Thanks and sorry again.

Would be nice if you can post that at dreamincode.com too, so that people know that it is not C::B that leads to this issue.