Author Topic: Sponsored Links  (Read 7313 times)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Sponsored Links
« on: October 17, 2005, 06:52:24 pm »
New toy, eh?

I would really like to know what will be its real use.

I just opened the forums with IE (I have Firefox blocking advertisement) and it was advertising another IDE :P

takeshimiya

Re: Sponsored Links
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 07:05:17 pm »
 :(

[sarcastic mode=on]
True, I'll not use C::B anymore and I'll start using WinDev 8.
Because C::B advertises WinDev 8, it must be really good, it even supports the best platforms on earth: Java and .NET
[sarcastic mode=off]

:D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 07:10:15 pm by takeshimiya »

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 07:38:02 pm »
I don't like them. Even though my Firefox blocks the ads, it doesn't block the container the ads are put in. This means even more lost screen real estate at the top of the page, so now when I go to a thread I can't even see all of the first line of the first post in the thread.
(Yes, I know I can shrink the header that's above the ads, but I make rather heavy use of the "Show unread posts since last visit" link in it :?)
They probably wouldn't really bother me if the "Sponsored Links" box around them hadn't been there. In fact, I probably wouldn't have noticed any change at all :P. I sure didn't know GameDev.net had ads until I heard some mention of them in the forums ;).

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 08:01:53 pm »
How about changing "sponsored links" with "the following websites support Code::Blocks!" :P

takeshimiya

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 01:58:15 am »
Better now :)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 03:59:01 am »
The ads are gone or is it my Firefox imagination?

Anyway, it looks clean again.

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 10:05:48 am »
The ads are gone or is it my Firefox imagination?

Anyway, it looks clean again.

Looks like they put them at the top in the previously empty space between "Code::Blocks" and the logo. I just noticed this myself (still using Firefox, but currently at a school computer without AdBlock). AdBlock should indeed take care of that quite nicely ;).

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 01:31:43 pm »
Hmm... cannot even find the surrounding container using Internet Exploder with privoxy turned off.

Seems like having squid block url_regex googlesyndication\.com does a mighty fine  job  :)

Have you tried the "NoScript" Firefox extension and configured "Deny googlesyndication.com"? That should work, too.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 04:21:05 pm »
Hmm... cannot even find the surrounding container using Internet Exploder with privoxy turned off.

It's been gone for a while now, presumably since before this post:

Better now :)

But I can personally only confirm it was removed before my next post after that.