Author Topic: Splitting debugger in two - specific debugger and common GUI  (Read 430867 times)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Splitting debugger in two - specific debugger and common GUI
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2009, 02:19:21 pm »
Thanks for the report, I'll look at it in a minute
Please see my note in the  (edited) post before yours...
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2009, 02:54:22 pm »
Edit: What is not clear to me: Why are the BP's handled one time in m_State and another time in m_breakpoints?! There is a funny mixture of what is being used inside debuggergdb. It's not clear to me when which version is right...?!
I didn't want to mess with the plugin code too much. So I settled for some code duplication.

Here is the fix, but maybe I should extract this and the other notifications, so all plugins implement it by default :)
Code
Index: src/plugins/debuggergdb/debuggergdb.cpp
===================================================================
--- src/plugins/debuggergdb/debuggergdb.cpp     (revision 5809)
+++ src/plugins/debuggergdb/debuggergdb.cpp     (working copy)
@@ -2008,7 +2008,7 @@
             bpFileName.Normalize();
             edFileName.Normalize();
             if (bpFileName.GetFullPath().Matches(edFileName.GetFullPath()))
-                ed->ToggleBreakpoint(bp->line, false);
+                ed->ToggleBreakpoint(bp->line - 1, false);
         }
         // Now check and highlight the active line under debugging
         if (m_State.HasDriver())
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2009, 03:02:44 pm »
The patch works, but ...

If I add a BP with the context-menu it does not appear in the list, if I then add another BP with a left-click in the margin, both are listed.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2009, 03:48:14 pm »
I didn't want to mess with the plugin code too much. So I settled for some code duplication.
I understand why, but I think we seriously need to clean that up. In the past we had watches, breakpoints in the driver and needed to "synch" them with the BP's (in the editors). It was already confusing as the editors have a different indexing (an editor starts with line 1, a BP with line 0). Now that we have watches and BP's duplicated in the debugger, too we need to take care to "synch" 5 instances. This will lead to a lot of errors like Jens is experiencing.

If you realise that the "driver" is actually the instance of the debugger I think it's most plausible to keep the implementation in the "state" and remove it again from the debugger instance.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2009, 04:00:06 pm »
If I add a BP with the context-menu it does not appear in the list, if I then add another BP with a left-click in the margin, both are listed.
I fixed that, too and committed both fixes to the branch.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2009, 09:56:49 pm »
I understand why, but I think we seriously need to clean that up. In the past we had watches, breakpoints in the driver and needed to "synch" them with the BP's (in the editors). It was already confusing as the editors have a different indexing (an editor starts with line 1, a BP with line 0). Now that we have watches and BP's duplicated in the debugger, too we need to take care to "synch" 5 instances. This will lead to a lot of errors like Jens is experiencing.

If you realise that the "driver" is actually the instance of the debugger I think it's most plausible to keep the implementation in the "state" and remove it again from the debugger instance.

Are you sure about that the editor starts at 1, my observations are that it starts at 0.
I think, I made the debugger breakpoints to start from 1.

For me the gdb/cdb debuggers should be split in two separate plugins.
I've started the implementation of the gdb only plugin (using the MI interface).

And another thing: the duplication is needed because the outside world, should not see the implementation details (the temporary breakpoint in the current example)

p.s. this bug are caused by the late redesign of the breakpoints interface I made, so I'm sorry for the cases I've not tested
p.p.s. I can do the redesign to remove the duplication, but I'm sure I'll break more staff than that cause by the duplication
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

mariocup

« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2009, 01:03:31 am »
Hi oBFusCATed,

I just had a look at your debugger modifications and the watch window is nice. I would prefer the same view also for the CPU register window  (with switching of the display format too) with the possibility to edit values.
For embedded controller I see the necessity to edit values of the CPU registers or memory (view) etc. Do you intend to modify also these components.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2009, 01:40:47 am »
I could do it some day, but I've never used the CPU registers window, so I have very little motivation to do it.
I'm using the memory window more often, so there is bigger chance for improvements there.

But you never, know if I have nothing to do I can do it.
Also I think the modifications should be made by a person using the window, because he/she would know what is important and what not.

Best regards...

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2009, 11:35:40 pm »
Here is a patch that fixes the parsing the GDB output, generated by "output var", when "var" is a reference.

Code
Index: src/plugins/debuggergdb/parsewatchvalue.cpp
===================================================================
--- src/plugins/debuggergdb/parsewatchvalue.cpp (revision 5826)
+++ src/plugins/debuggergdb/parsewatchvalue.cpp (working copy)
@@ -314,12 +314,20 @@
         return true;
     }

-    if(value[0] == wxT('{') && value[value.length() - 1] == wxT('}'))
+    // Try to find the first brace.
+    // If the watch is for a reference the brace is not at position = 0
+    wxString::size_type start = value.find(wxT('{'));
+
+    if(start != wxString::npos && value[value.length() - 1] == wxT('}'))
     {
-        int start = 1;
-        bool result = ParseGDBWatchValue(watch, value, start, value.length() - 2);
+        int t_start = start + 1;
+        bool result = ParseGDBWatchValue(watch, value, t_start, value.length() - 2);
         if(result)
+        {
+            if(start > 0)
+                watch.SetValue(value.substr(0, start));
             watch.RemoveChildren(true);
+        }
         return result;
     }
     else

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2009, 01:57:55 am »
Here is another patch, that tries to fix various breakpoint problems and little bugs

http://smrt.is-a-geek.org/codeblocks/dbg_refactor/fix_breakpoints.patch

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2009, 03:26:04 am »
Mmmmh... I cannot apply this patch. Nearly everything is rejected. Did you use svn diff to create the patch? If not, please try that.

Just do:
svn diff > the_patch.patch
...in the SVN controlled root folder of C::B.

Offline eranif

• Regular
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2009, 06:44:49 am »
Here is another patch, that tries to fix various breakpoint problems and little bugs

Wanted to give you a "heads-up":
The debugger wont work as expected on MacOSX since GDB/MI returns different output then Linux/Windows (the format is a bit different)
So you might want to test it on Mac as well to fix the parsing.

Eran

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2009, 06:58:06 am »
Good catch, Eran. Hence we have literally no active developer that owns a MAC... so it will be a hard task.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2009, 08:22:56 am »
Mmmmh... I cannot apply this patch. Nearly everything is rejected. Did you use svn diff to create the patch? If not, please try that.

Just do:
svn diff > the_patch.patch
...in the SVN controlled root folder of C::B.
Arghhh.... the patch is created with svn diff and applies correctly on my machine (I have a gentoo ebuild (package) for svn that uses it)

Wanted to give you a "heads-up":
The debugger wont work as expected on MacOSX since GDB/MI returns different output then Linux/Windows (the format is a bit different)

Eran
Thanks, Eran I plan to install hackosx 10.6 when there is a proper distro for my machine, so I hope I can do some testing

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2009, 09:41:41 am »
Code
-------------- Build: Debugger in Code::Blocks ---------------

mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -g -pipe -mthreads -fmessage-length=0 -fexceptions -Winvalid-pch -DHAVE_W32API_H -D__WXMSW__ -DWXUSINGDLL -DcbDEBUG -DCB_PRECOMP -DWX_PRECOMP -DwxUSE_UNICODE  -DBUILDING_PLUGIN -DWXMAKINGDLL_PROPGRID -DwxPG_USE_WXMODULE=0    -IC:\wxWidgets-2.8.10\include -IC:\wxWidgets-2.8.10\contrib\include -IC:\wxWidgets-2.8.10\lib\gcc_dll\mswu -Isdk\wxscintilla\include -Isdk\wxpropgrid\include -Iinclude\tinyxml -Iinclude -Iinclude\scripting\include -Iinclude\scripting\sqplus  -c C:\cb_debugger_branch\src\plugins\debuggergdb\cdb_driver.cpp -o .objs\plugins\debuggergdb\cdb_driver.o
mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -g -pipe -mthreads -fmessage-length=0 -fexceptions -Winvalid-pch -DHAVE_W32API_H -D__WXMSW__ -DWXUSINGDLL -DcbDEBUG -DCB_PRECOMP -DWX_PRECOMP -DwxUSE_UNICODE  -DBUILDING_PLUGIN -DWXMAKINGDLL_PROPGRID -DwxPG_USE_WXMODULE=0    -IC:\wxWidgets-2.8.10\include -IC:\wxWidgets-2.8.10\contrib\include -IC:\wxWidgets-2.8.10\lib\gcc_dll\mswu -Isdk\wxscintilla\include -Isdk\wxpropgrid\include -Iinclude\tinyxml -Iinclude -Iinclude\scripting\include -Iinclude\scripting\sqplus  -c C:\cb_debugger_branch\src\plugins\debuggergdb\databreakpointdlg.cpp -o .objs\plugins\debuggergdb\databreakpointdlg.o
mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -g -pipe -mthreads -fmessage-length=0 -fexceptions -Winvalid-pch -DHAVE_W32API_H -D__WXMSW__ -DWXUSINGDLL -DcbDEBUG -DCB_PRECOMP -DWX_PRECOMP -DwxUSE_UNICODE  -DBUILDING_PLUGIN -DWXMAKINGDLL_PROPGRID -DwxPG_USE_WXMODULE=0    -IC:\wxWidgets-2.8.10\include -IC:\wxWidgets-2.8.10\contrib\include -IC:\wxWidgets-2.8.10\lib\gcc_dll\mswu -Isdk\wxscintilla\include -Isdk\wxpropgrid\include -Iinclude\tinyxml -Iinclude -Iinclude\scripting\include -Iinclude\scripting\sqplus  -c C:\cb_debugger_branch\src\plugins\debuggergdb\debugger_defs.cpp -o .objs\plugins\debuggergdb\debugger_defs.o
mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -g -pipe -mthreads -fmessage-length=0 -fexceptions -Winvalid-pch -DHAVE_W32API_H -D__WXMSW__ -DWXUSINGDLL -DcbDEBUG -DCB_PRECOMP -DWX_PRECOMP -DwxUSE_UNICODE  -DBUILDING_PLUGIN -DWXMAKINGDLL_PROPGRID -DwxPG_USE_WXMODULE=0    -IC:\wxWidgets-2.8.10\include -IC:\wxWidgets-2.8.10\contrib\include -IC:\wxWidgets-2.8.10\lib\gcc_dll\mswu -Isdk\wxscintilla\include -Isdk\wxpropgrid\include -Iinclude\tinyxml -Iinclude -Iinclude\scripting\include -Iinclude\scripting\sqplus  -c C:\cb_debugger_branch\src\plugins\debuggergdb\debuggerdriver.cpp -o .objs\plugins\debuggergdb\debuggerdriver.o
mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -g -pipe -mthreads -fmessage-length=0 -fexceptions -Winvalid-pch -DHAVE_W32API_H -D__WXMSW__ -DWXUSINGDLL -DcbDEBUG -DCB_PRECOMP -DWX_PRECOMP -DwxUSE_UNICODE  -DBUILDING_PLUGIN -DWXMAKINGDLL_PROPGRID -DwxPG_USE_WXMODULE=0    -IC:\wxWidgets-2.8.10\include -IC:\wxWidgets-2.8.10\contrib\include -IC:\wxWidgets-2.8.10\lib\gcc_dll\mswu -Isdk\wxscintilla\include -Isdk\wxpropgrid\include -Iinclude\tinyxml -Iinclude -Iinclude\scripting\include -Iinclude\scripting\sqplus  -c C:\cb_debugger_branch\src\plugins\debuggergdb\debuggergdb.cpp -o .objs\plugins\debuggergdb\debuggergdb.o
C:\cb_debugger_branch\src\plugins\debuggergdb\debuggergdb.cpp:1748:1: error: unterminated #ifndef
C:\cb_debugger_branch\src\plugins\debuggergdb\debuggergdb.cpp: In member function 'virtual void DebuggerGDB::Break()':
C:\cb_debugger_branch\src\plugins\debuggergdb\debuggergdb.cpp:1747: warning: unused variable 'pid'
C:\cb_debugger_branch\src\plugins\debuggergdb\debuggergdb.cpp:1747: error: expected '}' at end of input
C:\cb_debugger_branch\src\plugins\debuggergdb\debuggergdb.cpp:1747: error: expected '}' at end of input
Process terminated with status 1 (12 minutes, 40 seconds)
3 errors, 9 warnings

build failed in the latest debugger branch under TDM mingw.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.