Author Topic: [SOLVED] How to debug dll  (Read 17664 times)

Offline DanRR

• Multiple posting newcomer
[SOLVED] How to debug dll
« on: July 16, 2009, 08:17:30 am »
Hello,
I didn't found out how to set the debugger to debug a dll. This is my first windows dll.
I'm using 5456 build, I've set a dll project, using the default settings and a application project, to use it.
I linked the dll statically, by adding *.a dll file. The application works well with the dll when executed directly.
Pressing the Debug button on the dll issue the obvious message that I need a host program to run it, how do I do that?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 05:05:48 pm by DanRR »

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Re: How to debug dll
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 01:43:01 pm »
MainMenu->Project->Set Programs Aruguments->Host Applicaton

Be aware that setting breakpoints before loading the DLL may not be honored  by gdb and that you will have to insert an "asm("int3"); /*trap*/" statement into the code to get it to break in the debugger first, then set your breakpoints.

Offline DanRR

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 02:34:44 pm »
Thanks Pecan!
That helped, The debugger is breaking in the dll now.
There are still some problems:
1. I can't break debug some initiation code called on DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH event, I think it's because the
trap stops the debugger after the dll is loaded.
2. I can't break on DLL_PROCESS_DETACH, I'm not sure why.
Is there a solution to these problems?

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 01:57:08 pm »
Thanks Pecan!
1. I can't break debug some initiation code called on DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH event, I think it's because the

You do hit continue or NextLine after the debugger stops at the asm("int3") statement don't you? I've had no problem with this.

If a breakpoint doesn't work in a DLL, I simple always resort to the asm("int3") trick. I cannot tell you why breakpoints do or don't work at particular places.

If you mean that you already have an asm("int3)" in DLL_PROCESS_DETACH and it doesn't break into gdb, I'd investidate  why that code is never being executed.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:59:53 pm by Pecan »

Offline DanRR

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 05:03:17 pm »
Thanks Pecan!

You do hit continue or NextLine after the debugger stops at the asm("int3") statement don't you? I've had no problem with this.

If a breakpoint doesn't work in a DLL, I simple always resort to the asm("int3") trick. I cannot tell you why breakpoints do or don't work at particular places.

If you mean that you already have an asm("int3)" in DLL_PROCESS_DETACH and it doesn't break into gdb, I'd investidate  why that code is never being executed.

I managed to brake in the dll functions, using asm("int3") in the host program.
I couldn't break in any of the dll events, using breakpoint or asm("int3)". I gave up on this one, I'll workaround that.
Thanks again!

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: [SOLVED] How to debug dll
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 05:07:45 pm »
You don't need to use "int 3" like asm code, see the attachment below, you can directly set breakpoint in the DLL source.

[attachment deleted by admin]
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline DanRR

Re: [SOLVED] How to debug dll
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 09:02:59 am »
You don't need to use "int 3" like asm code, see the attachment below, you can directly set breakpoint in the DLL source.

Hi ollydbg,
I tested your example project, indeed, asm("int3") is not needed when using dynamic dll linking.
Of course, it takes some extra work to link the dll dynamically.
Thanks!