Author Topic: Migrating from WinXP to Ubuntu  (Read 5276 times)

Offline Zini

• Multiple posting newcomer
Migrating from WinXP to Ubuntu
« on: July 05, 2009, 12:23:22 pm »
I am moving from WinXP to Ubuntu 9.04 (Code::Blocks build from SVN, rev 5679) and encountered the following problems:

- on startup I get a notification at the bottom-right corner saying something about one or more plugins not loaded and something about checking a log file. It disappears before I can read it fully and it is partially covered by a panel anyway. No idea either where to search for this file.

- when building a project results in an error, the log window is automatically closed.

- I can't find the option to enable full compiler logging any more. Either it is in a different place on Linux or I need new glasses.

- What I found instead is an option to save the build log to HTML, with a sub-option to output the full command line there. That works, but it gives me a window that is stuck at the top-left corner of the screen. Can't close it and can't move it. Has no visible title bar (maybe hidden by the panel)?

Edit: Found the option for full logging. Guess it is indeed time for new glasses. But the other problems are still there (re-install didn't fix it).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:11:45 pm by Zini »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Migrating from WinXP to Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 05:12:56 pm »
I am moving from WinXP to Ubuntu 9.04 (Code::Blocks build from SVN, rev 5679) and encountered the following problems:

- on startup I get a notification at the bottom-right corner saying something about one or more plugins not loaded and something about checking a log file. It disappears before I can read it fully and it is partially covered by a panel anyway. No idea either where to search for this file.
start C::B from the console, also you start it with --debug-log option (this one adds a second logging window with some debugging messages)

- when building a project results in an error, the log window is automatically closed.
settings -> env settings -> view -> auto show/hide message pane -> keep after build errors
if the message pane is hidden you could show it from the view menu or by hitting f2
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Zini

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 05:34:35 pm »
start C::B from the console, also you start it with --debug-log option (this one adds a second logging window with some debugging messages)

Nothing in the Debug log. But I just noticed, that the log window already has a log tab for Code::Blocks and there is indeed a message:

/usr/local/lib/codeblocks/plugins/libwxsmith.so: not loaded (missing symbols?)
/usr/local/lib/codeblocks/plugins/libwxsmithcontribitems.so: not loaded (missing symbols?)

No problem actually, since I don't use wxsmith (though it would still be nice to get rid of this message).

settings -> env settings -> view -> auto show/hide message pane -> keep after build errors
if the message pane is hidden you could show it from the view menu or by hitting f2

The settings were correct in the first place. But I think I found the problem. The build process ended with a summary of 0 warnings and 0 errors, so I guess Code::Blocks thought everything would be okay and it could hide the window. But there were additional error messages afterwards, that weren't counted. Unfortunately I don't have the old project file anymore, which triggered this problem (resulted from porting a project from Windows to Linux).

Offline Zini

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 09:07:30 am »
Still in the process of making my stuff from Windows applications into portable Windows/Linux applications. Surprisingly easy. The support for multiple plattforms is thought out really well. Kudos to the developers.

However I encounter one problem, that is almost a showstopper. When selecting a file with Alt-G the editor does not gain the focus. This is highly annoying. Can someone confirm, that it is a Linux problem? Or did it show up with the most recent SVN builds?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 09:16:35 am »
I think this problems shows when the focus policy is something like focus-follows-mouse.
I've not used gnome in quite a while, so I can't test, but after I've played with my e17, I've fixed the problem.
There could be something wrong with wxGTK, thought, I don't know for sure.

Here is another similar bug: http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=14240&group_id=5358
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Zini

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 12:06:08 pm »
I can confirm the bug you linked, though not sure how much they are related. But it indeed looks like a Linux/wxGtk problem *sigh*.

btw. I don't have focus follow mouse enabled.

Offline Zini

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 11:07:00 am »
Small update: The problem with the floating windows stuck at the top of the screen seems only to be present when Compiz is enabled.