Author Topic: wxWidgets on Windows Vista 64 (GCC), can't compile nor find a binary installer.  (Read 4109 times)

Repgahroll

Hello there :).

This is my first topic/post here.

I've been using code::blocks on Linux for a LOT of time, and it's just perfect, i never needed to get any "personal" help, all the issues i used to have, always was easily fixed consulting the wiki or the documentation itself.

But i'm trying to compile a code on Windows making use of wxWidgets, and i found Windows to be a damn hard OS.

First i downloaded wxWidgets and installed it on c:\wxWidgets-2.8.10, and then I installed Code::Blocks on c:\Program Files (x86), so i tried to compile a blank wxWidgets app (i linked everything together before) and the compiler returned the error "setup.h not found" (or something similar)... man, on Linux (almost any debian-like) you just need to run "apt-get install codeblocks* wxwidgets-2.8-dev" to be ready to go, and everybody says Windows is easier than Linux :(.

Okay, no problem at all, i found searching on Google that it's necessary to compile the wxWidgets on Windows using MinGW under MSYS, okay, i found a pretty hard-to-understand tutorial on the official wiki, and i tried to that.

First thing was to install MinGW, i downloaded the binary installer and choose to install the default plus g++ features.

Then i dowloaded the latest stable MSYS installer (1.0.10) and installed, but when i click on the icon on desktop, the thing opens hundreds of "popping" windows over my screen and crashes.

I don't know what to do, i thought would be very easy to get it working on Windows, but the system is very confusing, there's no "/usr"* folder at all, and it's hard to know where are the local configs folders ($/.config). I'm so confused.

If anyone could post here a small step-by-step t get it working on Windows :D... i just want to be able to compile a simple "blank" wxWidgets project, the other issues i think i can solve myself.

Thank you very much.

*- where are the folders that are found on the root directory on Unix systems, for example "/usr", "/bin"? I tried c:\usr, c:\windows\usr... i know the "/home" folder is "c:\users", but i could not find where the binaries are stored.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:36:21 am by Repgahroll »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
You only need MinGW and the wxWidgets-sources to compile wxWidgets on windows.

Did you read the WxWindowsQuickRef ?

When I build wxWidgets the first time, I only used the Nightly Cookbook, especially the wxWidgets part.
It worked out of the box for me.

You have to make sure, you have a working MinGW installation of course (no msys needed).

Repgahroll

Thank you! :)

The guide WxWindowsQuickRef helped me a lot and i could compile the default blank app :D.

But i could not compile my project from Linux, i linked everything the same way as the default project :(.

Anyways, i found a very useful workaround :)... i create a new blank wxwidgets project with the exact same name and then replace only the source files :). It works like a charm.

Thank you very much!