Author Topic: [Splitted] Re: Code statistic plugin  (Read 6605 times)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
[Splitted] Re: Code statistic plugin
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:30:14 pm »
Reinstall C::B with the installer (just install over the actual installation) and make sure you chose to install the contrib-plugins (and lexers ...) you want/need.
They are not selected by default.
I don't understand why that question comes over an over again. I mean: The installer clearly tells what you have to do. What's wrong with it? I wonder why people don't realise that some components are optional and need to be selected... See the screenshot... :-(

Do we really need a HowTo on "How to use the installer"???

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 07:07:17 am by MortenMacFly »
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Code statistic plugin
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:44:20 pm »
No no no. This is what I have said last year, people typically click next next next, without reading what's on the panel. Remember I advocated to have all plugins installed by default.

And I think the user is right not to read all those panels, this should be easy, not geek oriented ;-)

So yes, if people would read everything nicely, they won't have a problem. But I still feel it is just our fault, we should have made it easier.

It's like  :  if the user can use your interface the wrong way it is not the users fault, but yours ;-)

So I hope in the next release we will install all by default, and only for those geek experts allow by extra clicks to (de)select appropriately.

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:46:53 pm »
As I said there

Let's install all plugins by default.
Maybe C::B devs should decide which ones should be enabled by default but with current hard drive sizes, I think all plugins should be installed.

Dje

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 12:22:55 am »
CB with all its plugins is still very very small in size.
And if people complain about the size, they should compare it to Eclipse or MSVC ;-)

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 03:28:07 pm »
The most people are used to get a full install as default on windows, and nearly nobody is used to read instructions before doing something.
So it might be a good idea (to avoid unneeded threads) to make the full install the default.

A full install of trunk is about 30MB on my XP, that's not so much compared to the actual hdd sizes.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 08:47:49 pm »
So it might be a good idea (to avoid unneeded threads) to make the full install the default.
If you remember: We decided last time not to do so because:
- contrib plugins are not developed/maintained by the core team
- the core team does not test all contrib plugins
- if you remember RC2 a contrib plugins caused a lot issues...

Let me suggest alternatively to prompt the user if he is *really* sure to install the standard package which does *not* contain all available plugins. This "Yes/No" message box would only appear on the default install. Probably I can provide the installer with another label and/or some other different description(s) in addition.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 09:28:04 pm »
If you remember: We decided last time not to do so because:

I do not remember, because I haven't been a dev when the last release came out.

Is it possible to use radio-buttons instead of the drop-down list, so that the user is able to see all possible alternatives at the same time ?

It would make it more clear, that there are different choices. If I used the installer the first time I did not even mention that the drop-down list is more than a description.
I installed all contrib-plugins anyway, but that's because I almost never use a predefined installation-type.
I want to know what I install before it's on my system. So I might not be a typical "Next -> Next -> Next -> Finish" clicking user.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 09:50:41 pm »
I have to disagree Martin, yet another yes/no box. Remind me of Platt's "Why software sucks". This is plain stupid ;-)

I think we can thrust our contrib plugins. They are also rather stable, and are part of every nightly so big issues would have come back to us.

And note, that our dear friend Thomas dumps undocumented plug-ins even inside teh main source tree, not even in the contrib subdir.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 07:14:39 am »
Remind me of Platt's "Why software sucks". This is plain stupid ;-)
It's not a software but an installer - take it like a wizard which guides you step-by-step to where you want to go... I prefer the way it is now because is also improves performance. And in fact out of the 20 plugins the "default" user uses probably 10. What are the contrib (!) plugins usually missing? Maybe we should just add those to the default install... another 2 cents...

Anyways...
They are [...] part of every nightly so big issues would have come back to us.
That's probably a good reason. In fact I didn't know that all contrib plugins are included. So in the end: How about a simple poll for us devs to decide democratically? I have not objections the one or other way - I just would like to have a decision.

And note, that our dear friend Thomas dumps undocumented plug-ins even inside teh main source tree, not even in the contrib subdir.
...but they are not part of the installer (for the reason they are undocumented). ;-)