Author Topic: The 14 February 2009 build (5456) is out.  (Read 91607 times)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: The 14 February 2009 build (5456) is out.
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 07:57:48 am »
Feature need for the 1024*768 screen.

Hi, I think a horizontal Scroll bar is need to show the build output. Because the output string will be truncated. See the screen shot below.

Thank you!

The horizontal scrollbar should appear if you make the column larger. Maybe a quick method to expand it to the longest error message would be desirable. In Windows it can be achieved by double clicking the extender of the column, but not in Linux.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2009, 08:46:38 am »

Hi, I think a horizontal Scroll bar is need to show the build output. Because the output string will be truncated. See the screen shot below.

Thank you!

The horizontal scrollbar should appear if you make the column larger. Maybe a quick method to expand it to the longest error message would be desirable. In Windows it can be achieved by double clicking the extender of the column, but not in Linux.

Oh, Yes, It's there, and it works.
The mistake is that I just use a windows xp theme that the extender of the column displays the same color as the title of column.

Thank you very much! :D
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 02:17:52 pm »
I add a patch to deal with opencv function prototype. Thanks
See here:
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,10162.new.html

Also, I think a opencv template is very interesting.

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,3615.0.html

But I'm not sure how to add these template to my code::blocks :(. thanks.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline Kazade

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 02:44:32 pm »

Thank you!

Is there a work around for Linux? When I get long compiler error messages I have to copy and paste them into another text editor to read them :(

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2009, 07:04:13 pm »
What about new relize verstion. Was no one since Feb 2008.
gcc+winXP+suse.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 07:33:54 am »
Windows NON PCH Build Fix

Code
Index: src/plugins/debuggergdb/debuggeroptionsprjdlg.h
===================================================================
--- src/plugins/debuggergdb/debuggeroptionsprjdlg.h (revision 5471)
+++ src/plugins/debuggergdb/debuggeroptionsprjdlg.h (working copy)
@@ -15,6 +15,7 @@
 class cbProject;
 class wxListBox;
 class DebuggerGDB;
+class CodeBlocksEvent;

class DebuggerOptionsProjectDlg : public cbConfigurationPanel
 {
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 09:38:50 am »
Windows NON PCH Build Fix

Applied, thank you Tim

Offline Wolf

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2009, 11:12:10 pm »
Hmm, I seem to have a problem in this nightly build (5456) on Windows XP (probably there on Linux too).
I can NOT type the greater-than ">" character with a Canadian Multilingual keyboard (Ctrl+Alt+Period).
The default shortcut for "Open include file" conflicts with this. Pretty annoying to have to look around and change that.

Other than that, it's been a while since I saw a new version of Code::Blocks. It looks like it's getting much better and prettier too. Keep up the good work.

Offline blend

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009, 09:21:27 am »
What about new relize verstion. Was no one since Feb 2008.
Yeah, what's the problem with releasing a new version? Some people say that Code::Blocks development isn't active... It would be perfect if a new release appeared.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 09:55:25 am »
Some people say that Code::Blocks development isn't active...
Those are ignorants. Why support them?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 05:23:14 pm »

We are not ignorants!!! I cannot convince my company to start using C::B only because there are no new versions and there are no updates. Lot of companies and people (specially today) will come with money if you will publish more versions and updates.

Perfect is the enemy of new.
gcc+winXP+suse.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2009, 05:41:09 pm »

We are not ignorants!!! I cannot convince my company to start using C::B only because there are no new versions and there are no updates. Lot of companies and people (specially today) will come with money if you will publish more versions and updates.

Perfect is the enemy of new.

You are ignorant, if you do not honour, that all the devs work in their spare time for C::B.

We all have to do our "normal" jobs to live, the most of us have families that need a little time sometimes.

If we are not fast enough for you, just start contributing instead of whining.

Offline frithjofh

• Regular
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2009, 08:13:28 pm »
Hello everybody,

first of all I must say, that my opinion isn't really worth that much, as I'm not a programmer and not working in a software company at all, but well I'm an architect ( the kind with the bricks and the concrete ) and I even sell some graphics design for a living...

Now my opinion: I think, that many people are slowly changing their mind and shifting to a point of view which goes clearly away from the old hassle of mandatory needing a stable release and better even if it is released at stable intervals of time. I think this is a very old fashion way of seeing it. It dates from times when production was rather cumbersome and large scale and depended on costly infrastructure and material that had to be stock-piled. never the less many decision-makers still think this way. In reality this image is already only a make believe... Even things like consumer goods as cameras for example look to the outside like a stable release, but inside every production lot is very different from the former, thus silently evolving without users even knowing it.

For all the "print" media which nowadays comes as file through internet things like schedules or time lines are also mere cosmetic. Already there are many publications which simply release a new version whenever there is something new to publish. "Younger users" don't have any problem with this. I think everybody could give a similar case from his field of work and experience.

It hasn't anything to do with age neither. A friend of mine is doing artwork in 3D with blender and is very fond of the fast rhythm of releases, even if they are not exactly what one would call "stable releases", they are always work in progress. This friend of mine is 68 years old.

All the crying for stable releases rally is for marketing reasons only. Big companies have to print manuals, do commercials on tv and internet and print media, and they need to present steps to sell them as big improvements of the product (it has to be discussed if they really are) over older version (so, buy the new) or competitive products (buy our product, it has these new cool features). And last but not least: they made us believe, that this is how it has to be, no matter what organisation or company you are. One reason today is clearly to give a disadvantage to small business and to a certain way of producing open source software. But all this is very often only a make believe, a tale...

As long as a software, no matter which revision number it has, complies with what the user needs and expects (the user, not the marketeer), does not introduce sever bugs, does not alter the input and output format with every release, and what ever nuisance we all know and have experienced by may a product ... well, then let it have some much nightlies as it may...

I believe even many marketing dorks will slowly change their mind about this point.

Now for what regards code::blocks:

It is already a very valuable and usable product take any of the last at least twenty nightly builds. It is already used in companies and for teaching and by many private users. It is capable of growing and evolving without great many difficulties, so it will go on like that and keep evolving.

And yes: they are all volunteers, no one gets any money paid for the c::b effort. C::b is done in their private time, but they have families to care for and friends and relatives.

If somebody complains, shall he himself get busy with c::b and contribute where he/she thinks it lack features and appearance. Or only suggest, modestly.

Maybe, as my suggestion, but see above, I'm not a very able programmer to contribute much myself (some of the icons of wxSmith are one of my small adding, when I have some time maybe I can do more), but maybe the c::b devs could consider this idea:

Release the nightlies as updates to whatever version the particular user has installed. Like changing the numbering of c::b from stable 8.02 and many XXXX nightlies to code::blocks VXXXX. A button in the toolbar gets enabled whenever update is available, but it doesn't hassel the user either, he doesn't have to upgrade if he doesn't want to. The nightlies would be like some sort of a diff actually upgrading the installation to the newest nightly. Maybe it would even be the same as now, just a changed number and that the user has the feeling he is only "one click upgrading" his product instead of downloading several files and putting them in some directory and even having to erase some older file ore something "obscure" like that ...

Well, I don't know, but maybe it would quite all these strange people crying for new stables.

But as I said, just a suggestion (ready to forget), and maybe doing so would give too much credit to the complainer style people out there...

Many thanks for your great work and the forum and all your efforts,

regards

nausea
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:29:30 pm by nausea »
architect with some spare time  -  c::b compiled from last svn  -   openSuSE leap x86_64  -  AMD FX-4100

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 06:26:06 am »
Good post. It explains everything. Those stupid updates make project to be "alive" and bring people, hence volunteers and money. If I will find little bit of time for sure I will contribute. I am 100% sure that companies will start contributing if you will make update plugin. The strategy is simple: Just put to 2 types of updates stable builds and latest features. It is more important then the development. Be sure companies will start contributing. Today nobody has money for a commercial software - it is good time to take off.
gcc+winXP+suse.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 09:03:02 am »
We are not ignorants!!!
To clarify: If you don't see that we basically bring a new release witch each nightly that you are indeed ignoring our work. Period.

@nausea: BTW: Nightlys are updates to 08/02.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 09:05:19 am by MortenMacFly »
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ