Author Topic: SDK Included in Installer  (Read 16844 times)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: SDK Included in Installer
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 11:26:35 pm »
The 1.0rc2 setup file being prepared now, is 3.3Mb including all plugins (standard, contrib *and* off-site).
You might not know it, but it uses LZMA compression so, as Thomas pointed out, the only real difference (if any) is the stub size which is negligible...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Florianx

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2005, 11:55:17 pm »
There is nearly no difference, so no need to change the installer.
If anyone want to see or test my nsis-script, here it is:
(to build the exe, but the file in ./src/setup)

[attachment deleted by admin]

sethjackson

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2005, 03:38:59 am »
The 1.0rc2 setup file being prepared now, is 3.3Mb including all plugins (standard, contrib *and* off-site).
You might not know it, but it uses LZMA compression so, as Thomas pointed out, the only real difference (if any) is the stub size which is negligible...
This is Off-Topic a bit but does this mean rc2 is coming out soon?  :wink:

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 08:43:03 am »
Hopefuly ;)
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 12:05:15 pm »
After breeding over this subject for a couple of days, I was owned by curiosity. So I actually tried recompressing a freshly installed Code::Blocks distro.
The result is, unless I have done something seriously wrong, quite disappointing.

The installer was made using the HM NSIS editor wizard, includes everything inside the Code::Blocks installation directory, "modern" GUI, no branding bitmaps, one language (English). LZMA compression and relative filenames were used, standard uninstaller, no extras, no start menu entries, no bells no whistles.
(N.B.: NSIS could shave off a few kilobytes using the "classic" UI rather than "modern", but we have to compare apples to apples - the Inno installer uses "modern" style, too. Further, note that the Inno Installer uses branding bitmaps which I omitted.)

Original installer:3.474.193
NSIS 2.10:4.024.380

This is counterintuitive because it reads everywhere that NSIS builds the smallest installers, but I guess the numbers are quite clear.

UPDATE:
Everybody knows that compressing compressed data is a really stupid idea.
Anyway, I said "what the heck", and ran UPX before building the installer.
exchndl.dll and mingwm10.dll do not like being UPXed at all, you will need to reboot your PC to remove file locks and reinstall Code::Blocks to get it to work again (upx -d will not restore functionality).
Everything else works just fine, though. Running upx -9 codeblocks.dll codeblocks.exe wx*.dll before building the installer results in 3.863.688 bytes. Not much, but we're getting closer ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 12:34:50 pm by thomas »
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Florianx

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2005, 07:29:49 pm »
do you really used the best compression?:
Code
SetCompressor /FINAL /SOLID LZMA
SetCompressorDictSize 32

But you're right, InnoSetup gots really small in one of the last versions.
I've tested InnoSetup a few years ago and there it has and overhead of more than 1MB and no 7z.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2005, 07:57:56 pm »
Ah indeed, it did not have solid compression. Did not watch out for that.

With the exact parameters given by you, it produces 3.426.439 bytes, about 48k less than Inno.
Note however, that this does not include the branding images (~160k uncompressed).

So it is not as disappointing as it seemed before, but you couldn't say it is really better, either.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."