Author Topic: Problem starting Codeblocks, PLEASE HELP!  (Read 7425 times)

reapher

Problem starting Codeblocks, PLEASE HELP!
« on: January 25, 2008, 02:25:58 am »
Ok, CB has been fairly reliable to me for the past year or so but all of a sudden whenever I try to run it a message box pops up saying:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program:
(for these errors a path to the executable is usually listed here, not with CB...)

The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

[   OK   ]"

And CB will not start up. I've tried reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime (I don't understand why this is necessary as I don't even use VC++  :| ) and using all of the Windows builds of CB on berlios with no luck. I've tried moving CB to different directories with no luck. Tried manually deleting every registry key that even mentions CB with no luck. It still happens when I restart the PC and I haven't been able to figure out how to make it stop, it doesn't seem to be a wx problem as wxDevCpp works fine, as do all of my other programs. Google found nothing on this issue related to CB and I couldn't find any help in old topics, PLEASE help me get CB working again, I hate other C++ IDEs  :(

reapher

Re: Problem starting Codeblocks, PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 03:59:54 am »
By the way, I have Windows server 2003, very similar to XP. A friend of mine mentioned to turn off Visual Studio JIT compiling but I don't even have VS :| This ONLY happens when I start codeblocks.exe, old or new versions freshly downloaded placed anywhere on either of my harddrives do this for some reason, and it just started happening suddenly today :( I need codeblocks, I can use the linux builds but I prefer the Windows environment so if anyone knows what's up please respond. I'm fairly sure this is more of a Windows problem than CB but if anyone's experienced/fixed this before I'd really appreciate any help  :)

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 06:26:36 am »
The mingw dll requires an Microsoft DLL to be on your system and in your path.

I can't remember the name right now. I think it is MSVCRT.DLL.

I have the DLL in my C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder on XP.

Place that mentions the dll for different problem
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932590

NOTE: Are you using an recent nightly, less than 90 days old? If yes, I suggest downloading the new
mingwm10.dll from the top nightly thread. I sometimes had weird error message when he switch to MinGW GCC 4.x till I did that. I also updated the wxWidgets DLL at same time frame.

Tim S
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 07:35:00 am by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

reapher

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 03:33:32 pm »
Neither mingwm dll makes a difference, and I've already reinstalled the MSVCRT and it didn't fix this.  :( Pls help, I have NFI what's happening with the program and can't get it to open

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 03:59:33 pm »
Might be a problem with multiple incompatible versions of "comctl32.dll".

reapher

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 05:14:23 pm »
There's only one comctl32.dll in my system32 directory and it's version 5.82.8790.3959, however there are two in this folder WINDOWS\WinSxS inside two subdirectories:

This one is the same version as above and both of them are 585kB:
I:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.3790.3959_x-ww_78FCF8D0\comctl32.dll

And this one is version 6.0 and is 1 MB:
I:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.3790.3959_x-ww_D8713E55\comctl32.dll

Could this be causing the problem? None of my other apps are misbehaving

reapher

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 11:12:52 pm »
Thanks for the input but I figured it out  :P

I had to delete the codeblocks directory in the application data folder that's hidden under Documents and Settings in WinXP, codeblocks worked no problem

Offline orel

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 01:24:07 am »
If by deleting the Codeblocks dir in Application Data it might be a CB problem.
It would be interesting to learn more about this one.

Just in case of, do you always have the old AppData/Codeblocks dir in your bin?
windows XP SP2
mingw gcc 3.4.5
svn Code::Blocks and M$ Visual Studio 2005 and .NET to eat!! SVNInside plugin :http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,7063.0.html

reapher

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 03:59:08 pm »
Nope I didn't make a backup of the folder, sorry. If it happens again I'll check out specifically which files were bad

nico

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 02:46:11 pm »
Nope I didn't make a backup of the folder, sorry. If it happens again I'll check out specifically which files were bad

For what it's worth, I had exactly the same problem on Vista after a PC crash. I've kept a copy of the folder after removing it if anyone wants to see it.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 02:54:20 pm »

For what it's worth, I had exactly the same problem on Vista after a PC crash. I've kept a copy of the folder after removing it if anyone wants to see it.

It would be nice, if you can pack the folder and attach it, if it's not too large.
If it's too large, you can send it to me via mail.
My mail-address can be found in my websites last line (see signature).