Author Topic: how to enrich codeblocks wiki with flash video tutorials  (Read 14963 times)

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
how to enrich codeblocks wiki with flash video tutorials
« on: December 28, 2008, 07:54:16 am »
Hi, I found that the wiki of codeblocks is not so specific. And I want to enrich them. I can generate some video screen cast tutorials in flash format to demonstrate how to use codeblocks. But the wiki is not allow me to upload the swf file.

I would be more great that If wiki could enable the flash support.

See a wiki page from here which support flash format.

http://www.opencv.org.cn/index.php/MFC%E4%B8%AD%E5%BF%AB%E9%80%9F%E5%BA%94%E7%94%A8OpenCV

Thanks.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: how to enrich codeblocks wiki with flash video tutorials
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 10:47:32 am »
A general thing when writing (or changing) wiki-articles:
Make sure images are small, it's better for readability and not all users have broadband connection.
I have to connect via ISDN, there is no other posibility at the moment, and if an article needs minutes to load I just close the tab.

And a bout flash-videos:
I would prefer not to use proprietary formats ( I also use png's instead of gifs therefore and because they are smaller the most times).
A flash video would force the user to have a flash-player installed. That's not html and makes parts of the wiki unusable for people, that don't have and/or don't want to have a flash-player, that means a "normal" (step-by-step-)instruction is still needed.

It's more work to write an instruction, but another advantage is the possibility to print the articles.
I prefer to have documentation on paper not on screen, but that's of course a matter of taste.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 10:59:22 am »
Thank you jens.

I 100% agree
I prefer to have documentation on paper not on screen
, and I think reading on the computer screen will do harm to my eyes. :shock:.

And I will add "step to step tutorials" as possible as I can. :D

By the way: I 100% agree that
flash is a "proprietary format"
, but it is so widely spreaded, I think nearly every computer have a flash player. :D.

If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 02:50:03 pm »
Hi!

I hate flash, because most of the time, keyboard shortcuts don't work any more as soon as there is a flash thing in the page and therefore, I can't use (Shift+)Ctrl+tab any more to change current tab in browser and the standard contextual menu is lost.

Dje

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 04:33:34 pm »
Hi!

I hate flash, because most of the time, keyboard shortcuts don't work any more as soon as there is a flash thing in the page and therefore, I can't use (Shift+)Ctrl+tab any more to change current tab in browser and the standard contextual menu is lost.

Dje
Yes, it is true. I'm using firefox, when there is a flash, the close tab short cut key " ctrl + w"  can not work any more. :(

Offline Ed997

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 06:10:42 pm »
10-48 am  12-29-08

Hi,
   I just want to say that .swf videos are great as well as .flv videos .... for tutorials.

Here are some great video examples: (.flv)
http://xoax.net/comp/cpp/console/index.php these can be streamed and recorded in various ways.

I use mplayerc.exe with the .swf (and .flv) file box checked. You can set it to play the video Ontop in several ways. It has a terrific slider that is easy to grab (find a low profile player with a better slider, let me know).

This player depending on the version you get is @ 4.1 - 5.6 Mb in size. I love it for most video work. You can use it in a borderless, sliderless mode (pure video window) (you can change the window size as if it is an explorer window you can then use software like Applian Screencast and capture the window in the new video size ... (and In the very standard wmv3 codec).

...Ed

« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:13:54 pm by Ed997 »

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 03:14:16 am »
10-48 am  12-29-08

Hi,
   I just want to say that .swf videos are great as well as .flv videos .... for tutorials.

Here are some great video examples: (.flv)
http://xoax.net/comp/cpp/console/index.php these can be streamed and recorded in various ways.

I use mplayerc.exe with the .swf (and .flv) file box checked. You can set it to play the video Ontop in several ways. It has a terrific slider that is easy to grab (find a low profile player with a better slider, let me know).

This player depending on the version you get is @ 4.1 - 5.6 Mb in size. I love it for most video work. You can use it in a borderless, sliderless mode (pure video window) (you can change the window size as if it is an explorer window you can then use software like Applian Screencast and capture the window in the new video size ... (and In the very standard wmv3 codec).

...Ed

Oh, thanks, It's great video tutorials. But I can't see the video, maybe the video server was blocked by our country. :(. I also think there are many video tutorials on Youtube or Google video.

The tutoriarls is talk on VC++ express, but I think it is also fit for using codeblocks.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 12:03:08 pm »
Not related to C::B developping.
Will be moved to General.

Sorry, didn't readd the forums headline correctly, moved back.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 12:59:06 pm by jens »