Author Topic: A simple question about find in files  (Read 7438 times)

Offline elie

• Multiple posting newcomer
A simple question about find in files
« on: December 04, 2008, 04:08:25 pm »
Hi,
When I perform search in files, the first result is always opened and displayed (e.g. the first file which the text was found in is opened and the cursor directed toward the text).
Is there anyway of disabling this? I've searched around the settings and can't find such an option.

Thanks,
Elie.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: A simple question about find in files
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 04:54:56 pm »
There is no such options as far as I know.

But you can use the ThreadSearch-plugin instead.

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:01:48 pm »
Hi!

I have problems with auto hide option for threaded searches.
Assuming that users are interested in search results, any threaded search tries to show the Messages notebook using the appropriate C::B event.
The problem is that it cannot bypass the autohide boolean. Is there any solution concerning that point (other than adding a new check box on auto hide panel) ?

Dje

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 05:23:49 pm »
Hi!

I have problems with auto hide option for threaded searches.
Assuming that users are interested in search results, any threaded search tries to show the Messages notebook using the appropriate C::B event.
The problem is that it cannot bypass the autohide boolean. Is there any solution concerning that point (other than adding a new check box on auto hide panel) ?

Dje

It works for me !

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 05:27:07 pm »
Maybe there is a bug, but in the show log event handler, the m_??? boolean blocked the action.
I changed my settings in the environment panel and the value had not been updated in the event handler.

Dje

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 05:48:34 pm »
Maybe there is a bug, but in the show log event handler, the m_??? boolean blocked the action.
I changed my settings in the environment panel and the value had not been updated in the event handler.

Dje

You are right: "m_AutoHideLogs" will only be set on C::B startup, that is of course a bug. And if it is not set it indeed blocks the ShowLog-Event, what also seems to be a bug.
Another problem is, that after clicking build the log-manager will not be closed if nothing had to be done.

I will have a look into it.

EDIT:

Nevertheless, @elie:

you should give it a try, it really enhances searching.

(The only missing thing might be that there is no history of found occurences, as in Search in files.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:50:55 pm by jens »

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 09:05:37 pm »
(The only missing thing might be that there is no history of found occurences, as in Search in files.)
well, patterns are stored in the combo box but it is true it is not possible to log many searches in the log results.
Is this what you mean ?

Dje

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 09:27:05 pm »
well, patterns are stored in the combo box but it is true it is not possible to log many searches in the log results.
Is this what you mean ?

Dje
yes

Offline elie

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 09:30:40 am »
jens,
Thanks I've tried it and it works great. My few thoughts about it:
-Maybe the regular 'find in files' and 'thread search' should be combined, IMO.
-Pressing an assigned shortcut key for thread search should bring you to the toolbar and not auto start searching.
-Pressing the show/hide logs window (F2) is always returning the window to its original size... I've already provided a patch for this maybe it will make it to the next nightly build.

Thanks,
Elie

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 03:03:20 pm »
-Pressing an assigned shortcut key for thread search should bring you to the toolbar and not auto start searching.
That's an option Mario also told me about.
I don't forget it but I am waiting for the autohide bug fix to propose both entries (either search or set focus)

-Pressing the show/hide logs window (F2) is always returning the window to its original size... I've already provided a patch for this maybe it will make it to the next nightly build.
This would really be nice! Resizing again and again is quite boring.

Dje

Offline elie

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 04:16:32 pm »
That's an option Mario also told me about.
I don't forget it but I am waiting for the autohide bug fix to propose both entries (either search or set focus)

Thanks that would help alot, I'm used to it from VS.

-elie

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 10:17:43 pm »

fixed in svn, see: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,9495.msg68108.html#msg68108.

Offline elie

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 08:20:14 am »
Thanks! I saw your comment, I'll look into it.

-elie

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 12:07:20 am »
Hi !

Is this what you mean ?

Dje
yes

Implemented in SVN 5333
Thanks to Jens for Linux testing !

Dje