Author Topic: Logs window size; feature request  (Read 11607 times)

Offline elie

• Multiple posting newcomer
Logs window size; feature request
« on: November 05, 2008, 01:41:51 pm »
Hi,
Using CB on a daily basis I've found this (little) issue a bit annoying: I'm regularly using F2 to hide/show the logs window where it's size is not preserved. It would be nice if it did as I'm resizing it every time.

thanks,
Elie.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Logs window size; feature request
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:50:29 pm »
Funny, though this is quite obviously a bug, it's actually a good feature too. I'm regularly using F2-F2 to resize the pane to its original size :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 10:14:09 pm »
Hi,
Using CB on a daily basis I've found this (little) issue a bit annoying: I'm regularly using F2 to hide/show the logs window where it's size is not preserved. It would be nice if it did as I'm resizing it every time.

thanks,
Elie.

I applied your patch in a modified for (svn r5330).

Your patch always used the size of the last hidden window to set the size of the next shown window.
Pressing F2 to hide logger pane, then Shift+F2 to hide management pane, then again F2 to show logger pane, shows logger pane with former size of management pane.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:44:40 am »
Meh, how do I reset it to its default size now? :(
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:57:03 am »
Funny, though this is quite obviously a bug, it's actually a good feature too. I'm regularly using F2-F2 to resize the pane to its original size :)
Meh, how do I reset it to its default size now? :(

No way now, except for deleting the default layout, but I think that leads to more work, then to just resize it with the mouse  :wink: .

If it's really a wanted feature, it is surely possible to implement it (maybe with double-clicking on logger panes titlebar ?) .

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 10:17:55 am »
Doubleclick on the title bar sounds ok. Anything that works is good, actually :)

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 11:26:36 pm »
Doubleclick on the title bar sounds ok. Anything that works is good, actually :)

If you really need/want this, I can commit a fix. Even if I do not really like the way I resize the logger pane.
I did not find a way to resize a docked pane without to hide it, update the layout, change the bestsize, show it and update the layout again.

Code
        if(m_pInfoPane->GetSize().GetHeight() != bottomH)
        {
            m_LayoutManager.GetPane(m_pInfoPane).Show(false);
            DoUpdateLayout();
            m_LayoutManager.GetPane(m_pInfoPane).BestSize(wxSize(GetClientSize().GetWidth(), bottomH)).Show(true);
            DoUpdateLayout();
        }

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 07:28:25 am »
Code
Sorry for nut-picking, but mind using the Hide() method here instead, please? It reads just better.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 07:51:04 am »
Code
Sorry for nut-picking, but mind using the Hide() method here instead, please? It reads just better.

You are absolutely right, thank you.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 11:36:38 am »
Better yet, it could toggle between "the rather small default size" and "takes up 3/4 of the area". Don't really mind if it's a doubleclick or a keypress (is F1 used for anything...?), just would be cool if we kept such a function somehow.

The reason why I liked the broken behaviour so much is that usually the log pane is best kept small, because it's really not so useful. You mostly want to see the editor, and maybe a few one-liners that the compiler spits out. The default size is just about good for that.
Occasionally though, you get STL errors which output 30-35 lines of text, so you have to resize the log pane to be able to figure out where they start and where they end. After that, you wish that the log pane could just disappear again, because now it takes 3/4 of your screen. F2-F2 was a nice way of doing this fast and consistently.

Now of course if you could just hit a button to make the logpane pop to "full size" and back again, you'd not even have to touch the mouse, and you'd not need to try to hit that narrow resize margin. That would be really cool.

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 12:03:57 pm »
Hi!

Better yet, it could toggle between "the rather small default size" and "takes up 3/4 of the area". Don't really mind if it's a doubleclick or a keypress (is F1 used for anything...?), just would be cool if we kept such a function somehow.

The reason why I liked the broken behaviour so much is that usually the log pane is best kept small, because it's really not so useful. You mostly want to see the editor, and maybe a few one-liners that the compiler spits out. The default size is just about good for that.
Occasionally though, you get STL errors which output 30-35 lines of text, so you have to resize the log pane to be able to figure out where they start and where they end. After that, you wish that the log pane could just disappear again, because now it takes 3/4 of your screen. F2-F2 was a nice way of doing this fast and consistently.

Now of course if you could just hit a button to make the logpane pop to "full size" and back again, you'd not even have to touch the mouse, and you'd not need to try to hit that narrow resize margin. That would be really cool.

Any ThreadSearch user will appreciate keeping the original message notebook size...
I personnaly use F1 key for the very nice help plugin (unless it is default shortcut??), wxWidgets documentation is well integrated that way.

Dje

Offline elie

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 10:11:39 am »
I'm dealing with *large* projects, doing more searches than compilations. This is why this feature is so important for me.

And if I may, even better is to close the logs window when pressing Escape.
That key makes a difference :-)

-elie

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 10:22:52 am »
Hi!
I'm dealing with *large* projects, doing more searches than compilations. This is why this feature is so important for me.

And if I may, even better is to close the logs window when pressing Escape.
That key makes a difference :-)

-elie

Isn't it possible do use keybinder plugin to replace F2 shortcut by esc ?

Dje

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 10:44:02 am »
Isn't it possible do use keybinder plugin to replace F2 shortcut by esc ?

At least not on linux.

Offline elie

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 01:14:23 pm »
I've tried assigning escape but pressing it closes the configuration window. It will probably cause other problems if I assign it (like other windows will not close on Esc). I don't think users should be able to assign this key, it should come from within the editor.
I've got used to it when working with VS version 6 (although it was not retained in future versions). It's not that crucial but it's a nice to have feature.

-elie