Author Topic: Avoiding "crash on save" in large projects: any recommendations?  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Medved

• Single posting newcomer
Hello!
Our C++ project became rather large and Code::Blocks started to crash regularly  just after saving modified source code files. The files are saved without any errors, but some C::B crash occurs in ~50% of all cases.
Generated debug report contains:
<stack>
    <frame level="0" function="wxFatalSignalHandler" offset="00000026"/>
    <frame level="1"/>
    <frame level="2" function="wxGenericTreeCtrl::ItemHasChildren(wxTreeItemId const&amp;) const" offset="0000000e"/>
    <frame level="3" function="ClassBrowserBuilderThread::RemoveInvalidNodes(wxTreeCtrl*, wxTreeItemId)" offset="000000b3"/>
    <frame level="4" function="ClassBrowserBuilderThread::RemoveInvalidNodes(wxTreeCtrl*, wxTreeItemId)" offset="000001a6"/>
    <frame level="5" function="ClassBrowserBuilderThread::RemoveInvalidNodes(wxTreeCtrl*, wxTreeItemId)" offset="000001a6"/>
    <frame level="6" function="ClassBrowserBuilderThread::RemoveInvalidNodes(wxTreeCtrl*, wxTreeItemId)" offset="000001a6"/>
    <frame level="7" function="ClassBrowserBuilderThread::BuildTree()" offset="0000021f"/>
  </stack>

I searched at https://developer.berlios.de and found bug 12261: "Random crash while editing"
(https://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=12261&group_id=5358).
I think I encounter the bug described here.

As far as I understand, this bug is related to the Code Completion C::B plugin and this bug is rather old and well-known.
Are there any recommendations for avoiding this very annoying error?
Besides disabling Code Completion plugin, of course... Sometimes this plugin is very useful and it's not very nice to disable it completely!   :P

Thank you for your attention.
P.S.: The problem began to occur after the C++ project has achieved some level of code complexity (many files, many classes, many templates...).

Offline Medved

Re: Avoiding "crash on save" in large projects: any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 01:18:22 pm »
P.P.S:
About my nickname.
Medved is Bear (Ursus) in Russian.
Russian people use educated russian brown bears (Ursus arctos) for developing complex scientific software.
Because we Medveds are the best programmers in Russia. And because they want to minimize product development costs. We brown bears work just for food, not for money!

Medved.

Offline Medved

Re: Avoiding "crash on save" in large projects: any recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 07:55:41 pm »
May be I do not understand something...
Do people developing real-world С++ projects (large enough to be vulnerable to the bug under question) with Code::Blocks use Code Completion? Is this possible?
May be all of them just disable the Code Completion plugin and that's the only possible solution?
How do they fight with this bug?!  :shock:
 :cry: