Author Topic: The 18 October 2008 build (5274) is out.  (Read 61689 times)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: The 18 October 2008 build (5274) is out.
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 03:45:44 pm »
038812C7  D:\codeblocks\share\codeblocks\plugins\codesnippets.dll:038812C7
[...]
Does anyone know how to translate those absolute addresses to plugin locations?
Try:
addr2line -e [PATH_TO_CODESNIPPETS_DLL] [ADDRESS]
...meaning in the above case:
addr2line -e D:\codeblocks\share\codeblocks\plugins\codesnippets.dll 038812C7
But you need exact that DLL with debugging symbols in the path you point to. Otherwise you have no chance.

I for myself always keep the "devel" folder (the non-stripped one) for a reference exactly for this purpose. Do you remember when I asked you to keep this for the last nightlies, too?! ;-)
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2008, 02:52:55 pm »

Try:
addr2line -e [PATH_TO_CODESNIPPETS_DLL] [ADDRESS]
...meaning in the above case:
addr2line -e D:\codeblocks\share\codeblocks\plugins\codesnippets.dll 038812C7
But you need exact that DLL with debugging symbols in the path you point to. Otherwise you have no chance.

Thanks for the add2line tip.

I for myself always keep the "devel" folder (the non-stripped one) for a reference exactly for this purpose. Do you remember when I asked you to keep this for the last nightlies, too?! ;-)

I dont understand what you mean.

Can't I just compile the nightly to which he refers. Won't that produce the dll with the offending address? Then use addr2line against that "devel" Dll?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 03:03:47 pm by Pecan »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2008, 10:59:27 am »
Can't I just compile the nightly to which he refers. Won't that produce the dll with the offending address? Then use addr2line against that "devel" Dll?
When you just compile C::B as a nightly you have the unstripped version in the "devel" folder, including all symbols. When you run the update script you produce the stripped version in the "output" folder but the unstripped one is of course still in the "devel" folder. (Sounds a bit confusing... try to read two times... ;-) If you provide the "devel" version as a nightly then the package is big but we get meaningful error reports with the addresses already resolved. If you provide the stripped version of the "output" folder we need to resolve the addresses ourselves using the unstripped "devel" version.

If you provide the stripped version as a nightly (as you do IMHO) you need to keep the unstripped version ("devel" folder), too. Only then you can resolve the code line from an address using addr2line. That's what I meant:
Either:
> Provide the nighlies with debugging symbols included (they crunch very well but may cost performance)
Or:
> Keep the unstripped version of the nightly so that we can resolve the addresses to lines using the tool. But then you are the only one who can do so.

Otherwise we have no useful error reports.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2008, 03:03:38 pm »
Or:
> Keep the unstripped version of the nightly so that we can resolve the addresses to lines using the tool. But then you are the only one who can do so.

Otherwise we have no useful error reports.

I think you're confusing me with someone else.

But I think you've answered my question.

I thought it would be possible to revert my devel version to the SVN level of the 18 October nightly provided by KillerBot and find the offending line.

But if I understand you, it is possible to "recreate" the 18 October nightly on my own system and find the line via addr2line.

Is that correct?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 03:15:50 pm by Pecan »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2008, 03:33:24 pm »
But if I understand you, it is possible to "recreate" the 18 October nightly on my own system and find the line via addr2line.

Is that correct?

You can try this, but it will most likely not work, if you and killerbot do not use the exactly same build-environment.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2008, 12:22:40 pm »
I think you're confusing me with someone else.
Yepp - the "else" is killerbot. Sorry.

Is that correct?
I am not sure. Because (as Jens said) you are not using killerbot's environment. Technically it *should* work, but practically... just try. If it does not work - forget about it quickly. ;-)

@killerbot: I hope you read this, too. Do you have that "devel" folder still somewhere?!

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2008, 12:27:35 pm »
nope, only for the last nightly. I will start setting them aside for a few nightlies in a circular manner ;-)