Author Topic: How to import wxwidget into C::B on winXP  (Read 6257 times)

Offline ossLover

• Single posting newcomer
How to import wxwidget into C::B on winXP
« on: October 05, 2008, 11:27:33 pm »
Hello,

I can't find any documentation about how to import/include wxWidget library and other GUI tools to Code::Blocks.

A week ago I started with wxDev-C++, but accoording to guy on irc, Dev-C++ has stopped developing and it has some issues. It did crash sometimes with no reason (but hey, it's free and opensource). But building GUI was quite good and it has also wxSocket class for network programming.

Since I tried Code::Blocks I could compile simple C/C++ console applications (just for testing). But when I want a nice socket class or want to write a GUI app I really don't know where to look. wxWidget seems to be a very good alternative of MSVS, unfortunately I don't know how to import into Code::Blocks IDE.

So please help me out, I'll promise I'll write nice opensource tools and apps for everybody  :D

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline ossLover

Re: How to import wxwidget into C::B on winXP
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 10:02:47 pm »
Hello Stahta,

Thank you for your post.
I installed wxPack and left it to configure everything. So I tried to create a new wxWidgets Dialog based project, but I thought I have to use wxFrameBuilder. But now I found out I need to use wxSmith.

Since wxSmith is not bad, I've used wxDev-C++ which is IMHO better for building GUI. So I thought FrameBuilder must be the solution, I couldn't find anything about wxFrameBuilder. Google gives me just one hit.

Anyway, since Code::Blocks seems to be THE opensource IDE with everything in it, I can work with wxSmith for now.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:04:29 pm by ossLover »

Offline ossLover

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 10:36:52 pm »
Hello guys,

I got Code::Blocks working, I imported wxWidgets into C::B. I created a new wxWidget project, added a button to a dialog. But the problem now is I can't see the members of wxButton class with intellisense. So when I type BtnStart-> I can't see the members I normally see by intellisense. (BtnStart is pointer-object I got with new wxButton).

It will be frustrating times this coming weeks.

Does anyone know this?
Thnx.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 02:28:14 am »
Try site http://wxformbuilder.org/
I don't use either wxSmith or wxformbuilder much.

Tim S
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:26:12 am by stahta01 »
--

Offline ossLover

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:10:29 pm »
Well Tim,

What do you use instead?
And what about creating server application when working with sockets and threads? How do you work to get such applications done? Sorry for those maybe simple questions, but I need to see how big guys work, so I don't have to make the same mistakes. It's also stupid to reinvent the wheel right?

My goals is to write network applications for server side and client side as well.
Thank you.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 01:05:40 am »
Well Tim,

What do you use instead?
Thank you.
From My Sig.
T-SQL and C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and C#.

I don't use either; I don't do GUI interfaces in wxWidgets yet.

I am still learning some things in C++; I have most of the basics of C++ now, except STL. I have only the beginnings of how to use wxWidgets GUI stuff.

Tim S
--

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 06:16:58 pm »
ossLover: I think that what you're trying to do is have a nice RAD production environment like Visual C++.

Code::Blocks is *NOT* a RAD. There are RAD plugins, but they're independent. Besides - if you really want to understand wxWidgets, it's much better to follow the wxWidgets tutorials available around the web and write the code "the good ol' way".

Code::Blocks was programmed "the good ol' way", and the visual design of dialogs was done at a much later stage.