Author Topic: Anyway I can install Code:;Blocks without super user credential?  (Read 3673 times)

atul

Hi,

I am using Code::Blocks on a Lab machine where I do not have Superuser access, on Ubuntu. I was wondering if there is any known way in which I could use the IDE with out having to install it with super user credentials.

Atul.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Anyway I can install Code:;Blocks without super user credential?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:27:09 pm »
Cretae a directory, where you want to have the source-tree.
You can download the source either from the download section of C::B's main page, from svn or as tarball (at least from my repo).
The svn-download can either be the stable 8.02 or the actual svn-code, my tarball contains the source-code I used for my nightly builds.

The tarball has to be unpacked with "tar zxf codeblocks...tar.gz" from the source-trees root-dir.
The instructions to retrieve the svn sources can be found in the download section.

From the root of the source-tree (where "bootstrap" and "configure" are) type "./bootstrap" (only if you use svn-sources), "./configure --prefix <dir_where_C::B_bintree_should_begin> --with-contrib-plugins=all", "make" and "make install".

You need at least the build-essentials package and autotools/automake on your system (that should be there) and probably more difficult a recent (that means 2.8.x) version of the wxWidgets dev-packages (libwxgtk2.8-dev, wx-common) and some other dev-packages: libstdc++6-4.x-dev, zip and libgtk2.0-dev.

Maybe I miss a package, but if that's the case "./configure" should show you an error.

If you do so you can build C::B and install it in a directory under your home-dir.
To start C::B you can go to the directory you used as prefix and type "bin/codeblocks".

atul

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 10:01:55 pm »
do I need to have the wxWidgets package installed on the machine or is it ok to have them built in my home directory as well? Please advise.

Thanks
Atul.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:17:22 pm »
Good question.
I don't know, but I think that should also be possible.

The problem might be the build-dependencies of wxwidgets: flex, bison, gettext, bc, libgtk2.0-dev, python-all, python-all-dev, python-dbg, python-central, zlib1g-dev, libjpeg62-dev, libpng12-dev, libtiff4-dev, libsm-dev, libgl1-mesa-dev | libgl-dev, libglu1-mesa-dev | libglu-dev, libesd0-dev, libgnomeprintui2.2-dev, libgconf2-dev, libgstreamer0.10-dev, libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev

I don't know which of them you really need (these are the dependencies from debian control-file).