Author Topic: Modal dialog pops up behind the mainwindow  (Read 12078 times)

Offline CuteAlien

• Multiple posting newcomer
Modal dialog pops up behind the mainwindow
« on: September 06, 2008, 06:03:33 pm »
That one got me swearing a few times as I  always thought that c::b had crashed and so I killed the process...

There are sometimes dialogs which are modal, but do not get the focus but are instead hidden behind the mainwindow. I think it's mostly error-dialogs, but I'll try to take care next time it happens.

c::b 8.02 Build: Mar 17 2008 - wx2.8.7 (Linux, unicode) with KDE running.

Offline CuteAlien

Re: Modal dialog pops up behind the mainwindow
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:21:41 pm »
I found out some more. For example the "not found" message after an unsuccesful search has never the focus here originally. And as soon as I now accidently click on the workspace I have an modal dialog which is no longer visible. Not sure if that's what's happening every time, but a modal should imho never be in the background.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 12:08:27 pm »
I have a similar problem when adding files to my project:
the progress-bar is always on top, even if it has not the focus, and therefore hides part of the modal-dialog, that gets opened some lines later in the program.

It seems to happen because the progressbar gets initialized with the parent-pointer set to "NULL".
I have a fix for this problem on my working copy of C::B, that seems to work.

But on windows it works without this patch, so I think it's a problem of wxGTK or gtk itself handling modal dialogs.

I have seen your issue sometimes before, but it "works" not reliable.

Do you know which kind of dialogs are hidden behind the main window.
Are that normal dialogs (warnings, error messages) or only special kinds of dialogs (e.g. annoying dialogs, edit watch dialogs and so on) ?
(Annoying dialogs are the dialogs that have a "don't ask me again"-checkbox).

I found out some more. For example the "not found" message after an unsuccesful search has never the focus here originally. And as soon as I now accidently click on the workspace I have an modal dialog which is no longer visible. Not sure if that's what's happening every time, but a modal should imho never be in the background.

Where did you search ? In files or for files in the project or whatever search is possible ?

Offline CuteAlien

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 08:41:14 pm »
Do you know which kind of dialogs are hidden behind the main window.
Are that normal dialogs (warnings, error messages) or only special kinds of dialogs (e.g. annoying dialogs, edit watch dialogs and so on) ?
(Annoying dialogs are the dialogs that have a "don't ask me again"-checkbox).
Not yet, I will take care.

Where did you search ? In files or for files in the project or whatever search is possible ?
I can reproduce that everytime with both, "find" and "find in files". The result dialog with the "not found" message after a failed search  never  has the focus.