Author Topic: uiVersal Builder???  (Read 14118 times)

Offline llandi

• Single posting newcomer
uiVersal Builder???
« on: September 03, 2008, 09:15:10 am »
Hi,
this moornig I have found a very strange news on wxwidgets.org: "uiVersal Builder Released!"

You can see some images on http://www.uiversalbuilder.com/.....

But you can notice that the IDE GUI is very very similar to Code::Blocks!!! Why???

Is this a case of forgery (In Italian: Contraffazione)?

Thanks,
Luca

Offline dje

• Lives here!
Re: uiVersal Builder???
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 09:32:50 am »
Well, I think that's OK with wxWidgets licence but I doubt it is compliant with C::B GPL v3 licence (needs a licence expert here).
For sure, "their" tool UI looks like (is?) C::B/wxSmith !

Dje

Offline eranif

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 10:25:38 am »
Since I am a true believer in Open source... I just sent an email to their support asking about license issues, and a place where i can download the source files from (AFAIK, their source code should be available for download - when linked against a GPLed product)

In case their product is not linked against GPL code, which I doubt since I think that Code::Blocks SDK is also GPL, they should provide a link to download Code::Blocks source code

We will wait and see
Eran

Offline llandi

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 10:43:33 am »
Thanks....

Now I will wait for other info/news...

Bye,
Luca

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 10:46:29 am »
That's the most shameless theft I've seen in a while. Actually it's so pathetic that it's almost funny.

Well, I think that's OK with wxWidgets licence but I doubt it is compliant with C::B GPL v3 licence (needs a licence expert here).
For sure, "their" tool UI looks like (is?) C::B/wxSmith !
This guy (talking singular because it's probably a 15 year old lamer who wants to make a few 100s for free off this) has changed the application's name to "universal Builder" and rebuilt the application, as can be seen in the screenshot. This means, he made a modification.
He relicenses the modified application for money under a non-open license and does not publish the modified sources, nor credit the original authors. So, there is little doubt about the legality, really.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 12:01:06 pm »
That's the most shameless theft I've seen in a while. Actually it's so pathetic that it's almost funny.
I can't believe this, really! What a big-fat asshole is this? :x
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 12:02:09 pm »
They have a contact address. Who of us send this asshole an email asking for clarification as a first step? Yiannis?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 12:05:02 pm »
Initial counter measures have been taken against them.
Thank you llandi for bringing this up.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

VZ

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 02:31:05 pm »
Hi,
this moornig I have found a very strange news on wxwidgets.org: "uiVersal Builder Released!"

Hi guys,

I didn't find any way to contact C::B developers directly so let me just say it here: we had no idea that this was a C::B rip off when we added this item to our news page, we'd definitely never have done it otherwise. And we removed this news item now, at least until all questions about the source code of their modifications and licensing (and giving credit to C::B developers if they continue to distribute their version after satisfying the GPL requirements) are resolved.

Sorry for this making it on the front page!

--
Vadim Zeitlin, wxWidgets developer

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 09:05:01 pm »
Hi guys,

I didn't find any way to contact C::B developers directly so let me just say it here: we had no idea that this was a C::B rip off when we added this item to our news page, we'd definitely never have done it otherwise. And we removed this news item now, at least until all questions about the source code of their modifications and licensing (and giving credit to C::B developers if they continue to distribute their version after satisfying the GPL requirements) are resolved.

Sorry for this making it on the front page!

--
Vadim Zeitlin, wxWidgets developer

Thank you Vadim :).
Be patient!

Offline rcoll

• Almost regular
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 09:37:02 pm »
Are any of the owner/developers (i.e. Mandrav, MortenMcFly, et al) talking to a lawyer?  It's annoying to be so blatantly ripped-off, but you sure as hell do not want to be held responsible if this universalBuilder thingy actually causes physical or financial damage to one of his paying customers.

Protect yourselves.

Ringo

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 11:02:58 pm »
I couldn't believe that. I've already sent an email to the "support" address, huh screenshoots with icons made by me (I'm really not an artist so making them was really a painful task for me ;) ).

Ok, do we make some concrete steps agains this violation? We can contact fsf as listed on this page and I'm sure that they know how to act in such situations.

Regards
   BYO

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 11:28:40 pm »
Are any of the owner/developers (i.e. Mandrav, MortenMcFly, et al) talking to a lawyer?  It's annoying to be so blatantly ripped-off, but you sure as hell do not want to be held responsible if this universalBuilder thingy actually causes physical or financial damage to one of his paying customers.

Protect yourselves.

We have already taken action, thanks.
Be patient!

Offline rcoll

• Almost regular
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 11:42:08 pm »
Ok, do we make some concrete steps agains this violation? We can contact fsf as listed on this page and I'm sure that they know how to act in such situations.

Absolutely.  This guy has his company in Texas, and in Texas you don't screw around with patent violations.  Those lawyers are hungry, mean, and smart.

Let me reiterate, and I will say it 3 times so there is no mistake:

If his "universalBuilder" causes some harm to a paying customer, you (as author) might be held responsible.

If his "universalBuilder" causes some harm to a paying customer, you (as author) might be held responsible.

Remember I said those lawyers are hungry, mean, and smart?  They can be just as mean, hungry, and smart for him, as well as for you.

The people listed as "developers" on C::B should put their heads together NOW.  Come up with $500 and retain a lawyer in Ft. Worth, Texas.  Do it BEFORE this bozo does it.  A fight in law is usually the same as a fight in an alley ... the guy to land the first punch has a big advantage.

By the way ... normal lawyers fees in the U.S. vary between $200 to $500 per hour.  A retainer of $500 is average.  Also, by common convention, the initial consultation is free.  Get on the web, find a lawyer in Ft. Worth that looks good to you, and call him on the phone.  Explain the problem (he will want you to e-mail web-page addresses to him), and have him file an injunction in court as fast as possible.

You may have to come up with a few thousand dollars before it is all resolved, but the (same) lawyer will file in court to have that guy pay you back all your legal fees.

Ringo

Offline rcoll

• Almost regular
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 11:47:55 pm »

Protect yourselves.

We have already taken action, thanks.

I don't mean to sound over-bearing, or alarmist.  But I have seen a similar situation several years ago, and a friend of mine had to eventually file bankruptcy.  (He also gave up software, and became a musician.)

Please, no not depend on FSF or anyone else to protect you; your well-being is not their primary concern.

Ringo