Author Topic: Need help on a few things  (Read 14696 times)

XTAL256

Need help on a few things
« on: August 26, 2008, 08:54:44 am »
Hi all, i recently downloaded C::B as a replacement to Dev-C++ as a gcc IDE. I like the interface, features and plugins but i can't seem to get some things working. I solved some problems but i can't get the debugger to work. I searched the forums for all my problems but i can't find help on a few things so i decided to register.
The problem i am having is that the debugger quits as soon as it starts, when i click "run to cursor" or have a breakpoint, or just if i try to start it. There are a lot of posts on the forums but none helped me. I realised that i needed to set a Debug target (which i didn't already have since i imported the project from Dev-C++) but that didn't fix it. The debugger outputs: (Yes, it repeats it twice.)
Code
Building to ensure sources are up-to-date
Build succeeded
Selecting target:
Debug
Adding source dir: C:\Documents and Settings\David Hari\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Ballistic\src\BEdit\
Adding source dir: C:\Documents and Settings\David Hari\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Ballistic\src\BEdit\
Adding file: ..\..\BEdit.exe
Starting debugger:
done
Debugger finished with status 1
Build succeeded
Selecting target:
Debug
Adding source dir: C:\Documents and Settings\...\Projects\Ballistic\src\BEdit\
Adding source dir: C:\Documents and Settings\...\Projects\Ballistic\src\BEdit\
Starting debugger:
done
Also, where can i download plugins? The wiki just seems to have info on it and i can't find any link to a website or SourceForge where i can download it. The only other post i found regarding this just said "it should be where you download C::B", well it's not. The download section just has binaries for C::B itself. The main one i am looking for is Keyboard Shortcuts.
btw, I am using Windows XP.

thanks

Offline Alexis

• Multiple posting newcomer
Debugger not working
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 10:41:42 am »
I have the same issue ; Revisions greater than 5010 yield this problem. Debugger starts then stops immediately returning code error 1. I am thus forced to use Revision 5010.
My system is Windows XP Pro / SP2.

Somebody, any idea ?

XTAL256, you could try to revert to Revision 5010 and tell us if the issue still arises.

Thanks.

XTAL256

Re: Need help on a few things
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 01:45:54 pm »
Alright, i will try that. I was wondering if it was a version issue because i had issues with the Windows resource compiler too. When i installed C::B, i updated MinGW/gcc to the latest version, but i had a previous installation in both Dev-C++ and in "Program Files\GNU" so i wanted to only have one gcc that all IDEs use. The problem is that i downloaded the individual components and manually copied the files, and i missed downloading and copying some components. For this problem i made sure i had the most up-to-date version but it looks like that is actually the problem! :D
I don't know what Revision 5010 is, mine just says:
GNU gdb 4.17.1
Copyright 1998

I don't know why it says 1998, the file date says 2006.

I also have another question. When i open a file and there are already a few (1/2 a screen width worth) tabs already open, the tab view scrolls so that the open file is in the middle of the screen and some tabs are not visible any more, and i have to scroll left to see them. Is there a way to make the tabs stay where they are unless there is absolutely no more room on screen?

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 03:47:46 pm »
I don't know what Revision 5010 is, mine just says:
GNU gdb 4.17.1
Copyright 1998

I don't know why it says 1998, the file date says 2006.
Alexis was referring to the revision of Code::Blocks itself (probably downloaded as a nightly build).

At any rate, Code::Blocks requires a much more recent version of GDB -- 5.2 will work; 6.3 or later is recommended for full functionality. You can download GDB 6.3-2 here; choose the base of your your GCC installation as the directory to install it to.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

XTAL256

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 01:40:22 am »
Ok, thanks. That's strange that i didn't get the most recent version though, i downloaded the packages from http://www.mingw.org/node/24 so that should have the most recent version shouldn't it?

EDIT: ok, i still am having problems with the debugger. Now i get this:
Code
Building to ensure sources are up-to-date
Build succeeded
Selecting target:
Debug
Adding source dir: C:\Documents and Settings\...\Ballistic\src\BEdit\
Adding source dir: C:\Documents and Settings\...\Ballistic\src\BEdit\
Starting debugger:
done
Registered new type: wxString
Registered new type: STL String
Registered new type: STL Vector
Setting breakpoints
And GDB just hangs untill i end the process. And then it exits with status 1. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem but if they have then someone can just give me the link.
thanks
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 01:21:59 pm by XTAL256 »

XTAL256

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 01:21:33 pm »
I still need help. I have been using C::B for weeks now and i still can't debug or find the keyboard shortcuts plug-in.
Apart from the info i posted before, i can't tell you anything more about the debugging problem. OMG, lol! I just went to check the gdb version and i realised that i hadn't even installed it! The file was called gdb.exe so i assumed it was the debugger, but it was the self-extracting installer. Ok, that problem solved :oops:
Well then can anyone tell me where i can download the keyboard shortcuts plug-in?
thanks

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 03:26:51 pm »
Hi !

Settings->Editor...

Then in left column, select Keboard shotrcut.

Dje

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 05:47:42 pm »
And if you don't find it there, you might have C::B 8.02 installed andf did not select to install the contrib plugins.
If that's the case, you can reinstall it with the installer and chose to install contrib plugins also.

XTAL256

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 11:55:09 am »
So there is absolutely no way i can get the keyboard shortcut plug-in other than reinstalling the whole thing?

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 02:32:42 pm »
Yes, install it elsewhere, copy the appropriate zip and dll to your current installation or build C::B from the sources or extract the latest nightly instead, that won't delete your current settings.

Dje

XTAL256

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 01:48:17 pm »
Ok i just reinstalled over the current installation and that worked.

Offline Alexis

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 04:24:35 pm »
Alexis was referring to the revision of Code::Blocks itself (probably downloaded as a nightly build).
Correct!

At any rate, Code::Blocks requires a much more recent version of GDB -- 5.2 will work; 6.3 or later is recommended for full functionality. You can download GDB 6.3-2 here; choose the base of your your GCC installation as the directory to install it to.
This solved my problem!

I saw in CB's wiki an item "...debug my program", coming soon. This would be a good place to insert this link. I couldn't find it in current wiki.

Thanks!