Author Topic: Missing files to compile with Autotools  (Read 20866 times)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: Missing files to compile with Autotools
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 01:45:29 pm »
All done. Builds and runs just fine with stock wxGTK-2.5.3 (I fixed a couple of unicode issues on the way ;) ).
This leads me to believe there's something wrong with your setup...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline fiammy

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Nebulagame
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2005, 05:23:34 pm »
I guess there was. I've reinstalled my linux, to make sure, and I installed the RPMs from SuSE. The DVD shipped with Linux Magazine didn't contain all the needed files. There wasn't a wxGTK-2.5.3-devel included, but there is happily on the SuSE sites.

Now, everything compiles, but I've got some issues with the make install routine. It seems to be putting the files in the wrong places...

I got it to work manually, but the routine was mixing up paths and such.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2005, 06:22:28 pm »
Perhaps you could elaborate?
Be patient!

Offline fiammy

• Nebulagame
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2005, 09:45:42 pm »
Of course. Just checking to be sure I don't say anything stupid.

I compiled code::blocks on SuSE Linux 9.3 for AMD64. Sadly, the installation instructions don't take care of the 64-bit environment, and put the library files simply in the /usr/local/lib directory, instead of the /usr/local/lib64 diretory, used by anyone else.
As far as I can see now (I got it to work, so I can't determine anymore if it is due to my poking around that the files are in the right positions), the run.sh file isn't copied in the right place. Anyhow, the paths in the run.sh file don't correspond to the paths the 'make install' command puts the files in. The run.sh command still supposes the files are under the /codeblocks/src/devel, while they are not.

Any more info, don't hesitate to ask.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2005, 12:07:17 am »
Hmm, /usr/local/lib is not our choice. It's autotools'...
Besides, what does run.sh have to do with it? It was used before the autotools build, when codeblocks would run in-place. Now, to run codeblocks, you must "make install" it and launch it just by "codeblocks" or "/usr/[local/]bin/codeblocks"...
Be patient!

Offline fiammy

• Nebulagame
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2005, 09:27:28 pm »
when I do that, the executable complains that it can't find some dynamic libraries. Did I forget anything on the Wiki? because that were the steps I took to get the whole CVS to compile.

Cheers,
David

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2005, 10:47:53 pm »
Yes, run 'ldconfig' as root
Be patient!

doscott

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2005, 11:08:33 pm »
With Fedora, and possibly others, you may need to edit the /etc/ld.so.conf file and add the library path to it:

include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
/opt/wx/2.6/lib

or you could put the path in its own conf file and place it in ld.so.conf.d

grv575

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2005, 11:11:45 pm »
There must be some configure flags to specify 64 bit library destination directories or something.  Either that or an autotools macro that says to use 64 bit directories if present or uname returns 64-bit machine or something.

As for the -devel rpms...most distros don't ship rpms containing headers and libs but break up source packages into the usual .rpm and then a -devel .rpm that you will need if you want to compile stuff against the package.  This doesn't apply if you build from source, since then a make && make install installs all headers and devel libs.  It's just a space consideration taken by a lot of distros.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2005, 11:55:04 pm »
Um... I got the feeling we *REALLY* need to start working on the wiki because we'll receive TONS of complains about Linux installs... :(

grv575

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2005, 03:53:43 am »
There's already 2 sections on the general linux wiki tutorial that covers some of it.  Of course it's not organized well, and a lot of the wiki tutorials on building should be trimmed / things taken out to remove references to STC and make -f blah on the linux side, etc.  So much polishing needed for clarity once there's a new source tarball of rc2 when it's available.

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Compiling_Code::Blocks_in_Linux_%28applies_to_all_distros%29#wxWidgets_2.6.1_build
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Compiling_Code::Blocks_in_Linux_%28applies_to_all_distros%29#Building_Code::Blocks (after the ... seperator)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2005, 06:07:13 am »
Yeah but do they cover autotools?

grv575

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2005, 07:02:02 am »
Could be improved :)
But second link, bottom of the page.

Offline fiammy

• Nebulagame
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2005, 11:27:35 am »
I put my procedure I followed here a few days ago. It seems yours is better though.

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Installing_Code::Blocks

grv575

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2005, 06:39:35 pm »
Well feel free to merge the two.  It's useful to know what versions of linux and wxWidgets work out of the box.  I'd also move some of the stuff I put about errors you might run into at the bottom in a subsection or something so it flows better.  But don't have tons of time lately.