Author Topic: Having Windows Disk Errors When Using MinGW in 8.02? Here's a Fix.  (Read 6220 times)

Offline AaronMiller

• Single posting newcomer
If every time you try to compile using the MinGW that comes with Code::Blocks 8.02, and every time it goes to compile an additional .cpp file around 6~12 popups from Windows occur giving you a "Disk Read Error." The fix is to go to SourceForge.net and search "MinGW" - Upon finding the obvious result you'll want to be looking for download the latest STABLE binutils and gcc for Windows and overwrite the ones that come with Code::Blocks (Making a backup of them) with the new ones. This works great for me. :)

I WON'T BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT MAY OCCUR. DO NOT DO THIS IF MINGW ISN'T CAUSING WINDOWS TO GIVE YOU ERRORS. ONLY OVERWRITE THE FILES IN THE BIN DIRECTORY OF CODE::BLOCKS' MINGW INSTALLATION.

If this has already been posted before save your fingers from typing - I'm merely trying to help. ;)

Cheers,

-naota

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Having Windows Disk Errors When Using MinGW in 8.02? Here's a Fix.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 01:05:43 pm »
I may suggest you back up your personal files, buy a new hard disk, and throw away the one you're using as soon as possible.

There are no "disk errors" in either version of MinGW, and the likely reason why you had these errors and why unpacking the stable release "fixed" the problem is a hardware failure covered either by sector remapping or sheer luck (different sectors assigned by Windows).
Although it could be a singular failure and your hard disk could work for another 3 years, faulty sectors are generally a bad sign. Whenever I've seen them in the past, they were the heralds of doom.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 04:36:15 pm »
Actually I suspect AaronMiller is referring to the very real bug introduced in the Vista-fixed version of GCC 3.4.5 that the Code::Blocks 8.02 bundle includes. For people that don't have a fixed drive D:, GCC 3.4.5-20060117-2 causes these error message boxes to pop up. This was fixed in the most recent 3.4.5 Vista-fixed release (3.4.5-20060117-3).
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline AaronMiller

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:44:54 pm »
Yes, I'm referring to that + I tried it on two different hard disks. ;)

However one of the hard disks I have probably should be thrown out, but it's the biggest one I own with all my files on it, so I'll try to get a new one as soon as possible. The HD problem I have causes no OS other than Windows to be installed for some reason (No unix-based OS anyways, like Mac OS X for Intel or Ubuntu, etc).

Cheers,

-naota