Author Topic: wxWidgets dependency pushed me away to Eclipse  (Read 14540 times)

anerbenartzi

wxWidgets dependency pushed me away to Eclipse
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:44:14 pm »
Hi.  This may be a bit of flame-bait, but I think it's important for the community to hear it:
I am a long-time Windows/VS and Linux/Emacs developer.  I decided to find a cross-platform IDE, and narrowed it down to Codeblocks and eclipse.

I decided to go with codeblocks, and downloaded it, but got stuck on the wxwidgets build.  I am on CentOS, so I can't use a binary.
So now I'm going to try out Eclipse and see if that is downloadable/runnable more easily.  In the Linux community, it is believed to be OK to give people non-working downloads that require others (which may require others (etc.)).  This spends the excitement and good faith of a new potential adopter before he/she ever even uses the package.

Please consider more binaries or more universal scripts that will allow people to use codeblocks with a single download.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: wxWidgets dependency pushed me away to Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 11:02:44 pm »
HI, though I have no first reaction at hand, well maybe : that building of wx is not that difficult ;-) , I would like to thank you for this feedback. You have a valid point, dependencies on linux can be a hassle. I still consider myself a linux newbie, though I can solve several issues by myself by now. Otherwise I still run into linux difficulties myself, and sometimes it is also package/dependency related.

So thanks for the feedback, maybe other people who use his flavor of linux, post some suggestions so we can turn this user into a happy CB user.

Personal note : Eclipse is not really that good (actually I want to say : it sucks, but I didn't ;-) ). Oh yes, don't forget the dependency for java, I have had dependency issues for java, and it's zillion versions (1.4 1.5 1.6 ...).

Offline DrewBoo

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 10:39:18 pm »
Yes, Unix OSes can certainly be like that.  Some more than others.  On my home Ubuntu machine, C::B built from source and ran immediatelty.  On my work Solaris machine, it was certainly more painful.

I haven't tried CentOS, so i can't speak on how easy that OS is to deal with.

That being said, if you are one of the pontential adopters that you describe who have lost faith, this is the place to find people that will help you with whatever it is that's "stuck".

There's also the wiki.  wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Linux

mega_newbie

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 09:44:54 pm »
I followed the directions:  wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Linux
My OS is CentOS 5.0.2
All went smooth and I had CB up and running in about and hour(++)
 :D

jbone

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 05:37:07 pm »
I have the same problem.  CentOs 5 means installing wxWidgets, means installing gtk, means installing pango, means installing glib.  Pango doesn't recognize source install of glib.  I think I need pkg-config, but can't find that (it is old?).  Would have loved to try your IDE, as eclipse does suck.  Anyway, back to eclipse I guess.

Offline afb

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 03:55:36 pm »
There's also wiki:Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_RPM_based_distributions, even if slightly outdated (CentOS 4 and wxWidgets 2.6). But it might be easier to build from SRPM than to build from source ?

Fedora has some codeblocks package in EPEL.

Offline Krisando

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 06:09:45 pm »
I'd like to dig this up to say the same thing.

This wxWidgets dependency repelled me away from Codeblocks, it just does not compile, no matter how many guides I try. I'd like a IDE that works, not one which is hell to install. Not sure if it's just CentOS 5.5, but this program is just not able to be installed..

I'm sick of spending entire nights trying to get this damn program to work, none of the RPM's work either.

If anyone has a success story or even a working package which is compatible, please let us CentOS users know.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:14:17 pm by Krisando »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 06:31:14 pm »
Why don't you use yum to install wxgtk + wxgtk-dev?
Then compiling cb is a easy :)

BTW: Go open bugs in the centos' bug tracker, it is the centos dev's job to provide you packages for software_x.
         The upstream devs (C::B devs) aren't obliged to provide binary packages for every distro+version combination out there.
         Most of the time they provide binaries for the distros they use and know...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 07:06:41 pm »
C::B works on centos and it's not hard to compile it yourself.
I suggest using wxGTK from rpmforge (I did it and it works flawlessly).

Offline Krisando

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 07:08:59 pm »
Okay I tried that repository, it installed wxGTK and wxBase. What should be the next step I take?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:37:12 pm by Krisando »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 01:47:02 am »
In the Linux community, it is believed to be OK to give people non-working downloads that require others (which may require others (etc.)).
Hahaha exactly my feeling :)
But you know, the problem is really Linux per se. It's such a darn non-standard mess. There are so darn many distributions, and none of them are compatible with any other. It is really aggravating for the developer(s) of a project to provide binary builds only for the most important "mainstream" distros (that's already half a dozen builds).

I'm not saying that this makes it ok, it certainly isn't ok. As a user, you feel like you have a right to get something that works without having to spend an entire afternoon, and of course you do. But it's maybe understandable from the point of the developers/maintainers too, who need to do this in their free (unpaid) time.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Krisando

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 03:09:23 am »
I'm glad there's others who feel like me :P.

It's still a better choice than Windows. ;)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 06:49:28 am »
There are so darn many distributions, and none of them are compatible with any other. It is really aggravating for the developer(s) of a project to provide binary builds only for the most important "mainstream" distros (that's already half a dozen builds).
I fully agree. I've the same issue with another (commercial) project currently. Everybody uses his own distro and (not enough) in addition there are lots of color schemes and windows handlers even for one distro.

I can't do it for my stuff, but for C::B I was hoping we could use the build abilities of sourceforge.net. IMHO they offer a wide range of automated builds. Has anybody experience with these?!
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ