Author Topic: [wxSmith]Howto edit excist dialog  (Read 11242 times)

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
[wxSmith]Howto edit excist dialog
« on: September 08, 2005, 06:30:24 pm »
I can't find how to edit an excisting dialog. do I miss something?
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline cyberkoa

• Plugin developer
  • Almost regular
    • http://
Re: [wxSmith]Howto edit excist dialog
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 06:21:55 am »
since the main developer byo is not around in week, I try to answer your question ,sorry if I am wrong.

In this stage , the saving to xrc format is development in  progress , and the loading of xrc into a wxSmith project is not done yet.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 11:51:48 pm »
since the main developer byo is not around in week, I try to answer your question ,sorry if I am wrong.

In this stage , the saving to xrc format is development in  progress , and the loading of xrc into a wxSmith project is not done yet.

Hi, I'm back :)

I've just added XRC import option to wxSmith (it's inside wxSmith menu) :).
But be careful - when wxSmith doesn't recognize widget, it will be skipped with all of it's children (of course with notification dialog ;) ).
Maybe there are other incompatibilities with xrc structure, if You find any, let us know :)

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 08:33:37 am »
Thanks, I will try it as soon as I manage to compile it :P
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline yop

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 09:08:25 pm »
What's the status on the xrc import functionality? I built a xrc file using wxSmith, but the underlying code didn't match my dialog and the dialog was listed in "External Resources". Then I removed it from my project and gave import xrc a shot but the imported dialog is blank. Anyway I could add the xrc and write the underlying code to load it up, but the automation of wxSmith has spoiled me ;)
The above in a few words:
I built an xrc file using wxSmith
I tried to import it
I ended up with an empty dialog

BTW (I don't remember if I've mentioned it before) wxSmith is a GREAT piece of work! I designed the dialog by hand and built it in less than half an hour  :shock:
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 11:28:19 pm »
What's the status on the xrc import functionality? I built a xrc file using wxSmith, but the underlying code didn't match my dialog and the dialog was listed in "External Resources". Then I removed it from my project and gave import xrc a shot but the imported dialog is blank. Anyway I could add the xrc and write the underlying code to load it up, but the automation of wxSmith has spoiled me ;)
The above in a few words:
I built an xrc file using wxSmith
I tried to import it
I ended up with an empty dialog

BTW (I don't remember if I've mentioned it before) wxSmith is a GREAT piece of work! I designed the dialog by hand and built it in less than half an hour  :shock:

Ok, I guess You're using latest svn snapshoot (in RC2 there's no ability to open xrc files).
I haven't tested this option much (I mean editing external xrc files) - Could You reporoduce and send me content of this xrc ?

Maybe some explanation here:
wxSmith uses it's own format for resource files. In fact it's modified version of xrc but with additional data. Resources managed by wxSmith are in *.wxs files (in wxsmith directory created inside project). There resources can be used to generate source code which build resource or create xrc file for it and class using this xrc file.

And When You say that You've got empty window after importing it seems to be a bug  :oops:.

Currently the best way to use resources is to create them but after adding using wxSmith->Add ... enteries :). (Currently I doin't have enough time to work on wxSmithi but I hope that it will change soon)

Offline yop

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 10:04:38 am »
Ok, I guess You're using latest svn snapshoot (in RC2 there's no ability to open xrc files).
I haven't tested this option much (I mean editing external xrc files) - Could You reporoduce and send me content of this xrc ?
Yes I'm using the latest SVN snapshot (I'm building a plugin for quite a while and now that I found some time I'm more active with it). I am attaching the xrc file that I am talking about. Note that it has been built with wxSmith from scratch
Maybe some explanation here:
wxSmith uses it's own format for resource files. In fact it's modified version of xrc but with additional data. Resources managed by wxSmith are in *.wxs files (in wxsmith directory created inside project). There resources can be used to generate source code which build resource or create xrc file for it and class using this xrc file.
I 've noticed how it works and the *.wxs files and that's the one I can't get :( (my resource file gets listed under external resources). I was aiming for the code generation functionality when using wxSmith.
Currently the best way to use resources is to create them but after adding using wxSmith->Add ... enteries :). (Currently I doin't have enough time to work on wxSmithi but I hope that it will change soon)
That's the way I used but then something got mixed up and the dialog loaded to the project wasn't the one I was building. I had the xrc file so I thought that I could just remove the messed up entry and import the one from my xrc ;). There is no rush, I have my dialog working and have written the code I need to use it. The dialog was built in just a few minutes and that's why I said that it's great plugin :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 12:20:22 pm »
Thx for the file - I'll look into it later :).

And thx for using wxSmith for building plugins :D