Author Topic: Visual RPG plugin, feasable?  (Read 5191 times)

Offline Jogai

• Single posting newcomer
Visual RPG plugin, feasable?
« on: June 05, 2008, 03:23:05 pm »
Is integrating a visual language feasable?
I need a good ide for Visual RPG classic since the one from asna is crap. No code completion, no automatic layout, ctrl-z broken etc. It's much like vb6.
Is it possible to integrate this into c::b? Or doesn't it support visual aspects of programming? I want to load my complete project and drag and drop controls to make my interface.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Visual RPG plugin, feasable?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 03:41:24 pm »
It is certainly feasible to do that, wxSmith is more or less something like you describe (if I understand correctly). In any case, it lets you drag and drop controls and generates code for them.

However, I very much doubt that you will find someone to spend time integrating it, you'll have to implement anything you want yourself. I haven't even heard of this thing before, Google only brought up a support site which says "page has moved to...", and the new page and consists of 3 dozen links on a dozen empty pages to the same PDF document. Wikipedia doesn't seem to know either the company nor the product. Not precisely compelling for someone to spend time on  8)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 03:47:26 pm »
From what I can tell visual rpg is built around the latest visual studio, so why don't you just use visual studio? if the visual studio integration is poor, then that suggests the tools themselves are probably poor. If that's the case, why do you need to work with this proprietary dreck? there is no shortage of high quality database engines, web toolkits and gui toolkits (many of them open source)

if you are undeterred, take a look at the source for the wxSmith (a gui builder plugin for the wxwidgets library) and CodeCompletion plugins to get an idea of how much work you would have to do. You would also need to write a lexer

Offline Jogai

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 01:43:17 pm »
In vs.net you can program visual rpg .net, not visual rpg classic. And the reason I ask is cause I'm working on such a project. But the ide is crap. I don't mind to write everything myself, but I am not experienced in writing plugins.

Offline Ibbur

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 09:36:23 am »
Did you look at the wxSmith tutorials and documentation in the wiki?