Author Topic: C::B Profiler : new version released!  (Read 21129 times)

Zlika

C::B Profiler : new version released!
« on: September 04, 2005, 06:33:20 pm »
Hi!
I have made interesting improvements of the DarkLordSatan's Profiler plugin:
- the options on the configuration box now work
- the gprof output is parsed and displayed in grid lists (Flat Profile and Call Graph). If you select a function in the flat profile, you are redirected in the corresponding place in the call graph.
- some minor cosmetic changes like wait bars

You can download it here: http://membres.lycos.fr/exoguard/ (first link of the page)
You may add it to the CVS if you think it's interesting.
Send me messages for bugs (it's a beta!  :lol:) ...

Zlika

Offline squizzz

• Almost regular
Re: C::B Profiler : new version released!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 01:03:16 am »
Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

I haven't tried it thoroughly, so I didn't find any serious bugs, just suggestions.

Major ones:
- sorting items by clicking column's title (Yay! It would be absolutely magnificient feature! :P)
- descriptive pop-up hints for available options
- display limit, i.e max 50 items (it could be somewhere in profiler's window rather than "Settings->Plugins' settings", though)
- saving profiling results to file

Minor ones:
- strange text formatting in profiler main window, I mean this scrollable text on the bottom (screen - check 3rd paragraph)
- options screen : would be better to have ok|cancel buttons in the centre, also this edit control could be moved a little bit right and few pixels down (screen)
- suspicious *.dll size (?)

What more can I say - I really like it. :)
I hope this plugin will be officially included in next releases of C::B.
Thank You!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 01:15:10 am by squizzz »
this space is for rent

Zlika

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 01:00:31 pm »
Thank you!
I will try to take your remarks into account ASAP.
Concerning the DLL size, I think it must be a problem with the linker configuration. I'll check it.

Zlika

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 01:16:44 pm »
Concerning the DLL size, I think it must be a problem with the linker configuration. I'll check it.

Actually, since the stripped version is only 106 k out of 2.14 M it looks more like a compiler setting: "Produce debugging symbols" was turned on while compiling. As it doesn't seem to be on in the project file, I think you just forgot to rebuild after turning it off ;).

Zlika

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 09:42:55 pm »
Hi guys
I have made some of the changes asked by squizzz.
You can download the beta2 here: http://membres.lycos.fr/exoguard/ (first link of the page)
I will see later how to sort the lists.
I have not understood one of your remarks: what/why do you want to limit (in) the display?

Concerning the DLL size, I have rebuilt it without debug info but it's the same size (2.15Mo for this little plug-in!!). If someone has another idea...

Zlika

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 10:12:25 pm »
Concerning the DLL size, I have rebuilt it without debug info but it's the same size (2.15Mo for this little plug-in!!). If someone has another idea...
Well, you can always check "Strip all symbols from binary (minimizes size) [-s]" in the build options or strip it manually before zipping it. That should reduce it to the about 106 k I got after doing that (at least for beta1).

Offline squizzz

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 01:15:28 am »
I have not understood one of your remarks: what/why do you want to limit (in) the display?
Oh, right.
This is quite pointless idea without sorting. :) (I just assume that hopefully there will be one some day :P)

Having possibility to limit display to n items - like n functions with highest call count, highest cumulative seconds, etc can be quite handy sometimes. Just imagine a project where >500 different functions is being triggered during profiling (like more complex games), and most of them have no significance to the output's analysis (so why display all).
Of course I mean affecting display only, not the list that actually stores GProf output. So - the list is being sorted, and only top n entries (depending current sorting) are displayed on the grid.

You can download the beta2 here: http://membres.lycos.fr/exoguard/ (first link of the page)
Keep up the good work!
Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 01:35:51 am by squizzz »
this space is for rent

Zlika

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 07:54:03 pm »
I have fixed the problem with the DLL size:
I haven't noticed that the global compiler settings overide the project settings.
Call me stupid...  :oops:

Zlika

grv575

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 10:19:29 pm »
I thought it was the other way around (project settings take precedence) - or maybe even they are merged.
Note that there are global project settings and underneath that target project settings (default target is called default).  A combobox selects the desired behavior (use target settings only or append global project settings).

Zlika

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 11:27:13 pm »
Hi!
C::B Profiler 1.0beta3 is released on: http://membres.lycos.fr/exoguard/ (I'll put it on CVS as soon as Yiannis give me an access).

Changes:
- lots of cosmetic improvements and bug fixes for a more "professional" look.
- can manage a project with several targets (you select the target you want to profile in a single choice dialog box).
- can manage other names for the profile data file than "gmon.out". When "gmon.out" is not found, a file dialog box is proposed to select the profile file.
- and... we can sort the columns of the flat profile! Well, it's not very fast for the moment, I'll try to optimize this later.

Zlika

Offline Tjaalie

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 07:51:15 pm »
Hi,

I made my own build from the head of the cvs today, and i downloaded
the latest (beta 3) version of the profiler plugin. But it isn't working
becouse i got an error that the shared library can't be loaded becouse
the procces can't be found. I compiled my version of code blocks with
wxWidgets 2.6.1, and i found out that your plugin is made with 2.4
so i looked at the source and i made it to compile it with 2.6.1 but that
didn't made a change. So does anyone know a way to kills this (bug)
error???

Thanks,

Sorry for my bad english.

Ow and the counter on your site is a bit of a cheat, it increases with two at a time.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 08:25:11 pm by Tjaalie »

Zlika

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 09:12:20 pm »
Hi!
The compiled DLL in the zip archive is for the current CodeBlocks 1RC1-1 version, so it uses wxWidgets 2.4.
I haven't compiled it with wxWidgets 2.6, but I think there must be some little code changes (in the include headers at least). But if you succed to compile it with wx 2.6, I don't know where the problem is.

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 02:05:39 am »
I got it to compile with wxWidgets 2.6.1 but had to change a few minor things, mainly in the Project Build Options (include paths and libraries to link with).

The binary version ready for my CVS binary snapshots is in the site right now if you wanna give it a try there.

darklordsatan

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 12:09:19 am »
Hey Zlika, a little late, but Im pleased that you took the time to improve it  :wink:

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2005, 05:49:52 pm »
This plugin has been added in CVS, in the contrib plugins section.
Zlika is its maintainer.

Stan, if you want to co-maintain it with Zlika, just ask ;)
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...